Fish Filleting Tutorials

How to prepare and cook your catch.
crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Fish Filleting Tutorials

Post by crumpet_avenger » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:06 pm

4liters wrote:After watching a few of those I think I need a sharper knife... I have a Victorinox knife but it never seems to hold an edge for long although that may have more to do with my sharpener I suppose
I buy 2 or 3 cheap fillet knives at the start of each season ($10 - 15) and then use them for a season and then use them for bait cutting after their filleting days are done. ive tried expensive knives but im not overly wrapt with them as I don't sharpen and look after them well enough I suppose.

I go out once a fortnight and they seem to stay sharp for the year

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:32 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:
4liters wrote:After watching a few of those I think I need a sharper knife... I have a Victorinox knife but it never seems to hold an edge for long although that may have more to do with my sharpener I suppose
I buy 2 or 3 cheap fillet knives at the start of each season ($10 - 15) and then use them for a season and then use them for bait cutting after their filleting days are done. ive tried expensive knives but im not overly wrapt with them as I don't sharpen and look after them well enough I suppose.

Gee you mustn't catch many fish that or don't no what a sharp knife feels like to use. I have 2 good sharp knifes for filleting. The key is to not let them get blunt. Keep them sharp. And just a few cheap Kmart jobbies for boat knifes and finning sharks etc on things that really blunten your knife quick.

crumpet_avenger

Post by crumpet_avenger » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:43 pm

Hosery wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:

Gee you mustn't catch many fish that or don't no what a sharp knife feels like to use. I have 2 good sharp knifes for filleting. The key is to not let them get blunt. Keep them sharp. And just a few cheap Kmart jobbies for boat knifes and finning sharks etc on things that really blunten your knife quick.
you are probably right on the lack of fish part

im just cheap. my whiting rods are 20 dollars and my whiting reels are 25.
snapper rod was my big investment at 80 bux and the snapper reel is 40..

I don't buy good gear cause I don't look after it I suppose. still works for me though

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:01 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:
Hosery wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:

you are probably right on the lack of fish part

im just cheap. my whiting rods are 20 dollars and my whiting reels are 25.
snapper rod was my big investment at 80 bux and the snapper reel is 40..

I don't buy good gear cause I don't look after it I suppose. still works for me though
What ever works is the go. Thousands of dollars worth of gear isn't garranteed to catch you any more fish. It's the user on the end of the line.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:48 am

I have a couple of Victorinox and they are good. High carbon steel that hold there edge reasonably well but if your not careful rust.

What/how are you sharpening them?

4liters

Post by 4liters » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:58 am

frozenpod wrote:
I have a couple of Victorinox and they are good. High carbon steel that hold there edge reasonably well but if your not careful rust.

What/how are you sharpening them?
I'll take a picture of my sharpener when I get home from work
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”