Carp preparation

How to prepare and cook your catch.
smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Re: Carp preparation

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:16 am

Also, I guess water quality would play a big role. Carp from clear stony creeks/streams I would assume tastes a lot better from say a suburban silt filled pond.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Persistence
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Persistence » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:37 am

The only time I've eaten Carp is when I was fly fishing an Alpine stream way up in the high country away from any civilization in early spring. To my amazement I spotted a big carp in one of the runs. Crystal clear mountain water so I thought if ever I was going to eat one it would be this one.
Took it back to camp and a Polish bloke near by told me to soak the fillet in milk before frying it up.
Tasted great! Not muddy at all. A little bland but good.
I wouldn't eat one out of the Yarra though. Then again I wouldn't eat Bream out of there either. Too many heavy metals still in the mud.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:09 pm

Persistence wrote:The only time I've eaten Carp is when I was fly fishing an Alpine stream way up in the high country away from any civilization in early spring. To my amazement I spotted a big carp in one of the runs. Crystal clear mountain water so I thought if ever I was going to eat one it would be this one.
Took it back to camp and a Polish bloke near by told me to soak the fillet in milk before frying it up.
I wouldn't eat one out of the Yarra though. Then again I wouldn't eat Bream out of there either. Too many heavy metals still in the mud.
For some reason, I didn't think you'd get carp in the high country.
Too cold & fast running.
Thought they liked a slow moving muddier stream.

Gra

Texas

Post by Texas » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:14 pm

When we used to go to Chinaman's lagoon at Cobrawonga (or anywhere else for that matter),
We always brought back 2 of the largest carp for a hungarian friend.
He would smoke them, pretty good I'm told (I never tried them).

Gra

Texas

Post by Texas » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:23 pm

ThomoT wrote:Did you learn it from someone reputable? I know they are eaten in many places, so there must be a way to do it. I had a guy take one I had caught once.

Keith Bell has another way to prepare them, see here: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/anima ... 33b99.html

Problem is you need to have an esky with ice ready to go. A bit hard if you are walking into your favourite fishing hole. And even with this method, most of the fillet is wasted. It is only a couple of pieces on the belly and back that are used.
Was it someone reputable ??
Probably not, but,I'm not going to do it anyway.
Gra

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:39 pm

Texas wrote:
Persistence wrote:The only time I've eaten Carp is when I was fly fishing an Alpine stream way up in the high country away from any civilization in early spring. To my amazement I spotted a big carp in one of the runs. Crystal clear mountain water so I thought if ever I was going to eat one it would be this one.
For some reason, I didn't think you'd get carp in the high country.
Too cold & fast running.
Thought they liked a slow moving muddier stream.

Gra

Can confirm that there are carp in trout streams. Got absolutely bricked fishing worms a couple of weekends ago. coudnt be anything else. And saw some smaller carp swimming about during the day. Also , they have carp in lakes that have frozen over in Europe, i don't think they mind the cold all that much. But they do thrive in muddy , warm water for sure.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:29 pm

For the feed sounds like there bit fiderly so are they a good fight?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:03 am

They fight a shitload better than trout
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:23 am

Cool

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”