Carp preparation

How to prepare and cook your catch.
Ekaz3556

Re: Carp preparation

Post by Ekaz3556 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:17 pm

Carp is ok, boney as buggery though. Impossible to fillet. I have eaten it within hours of catching it, just rolled in flour and shallow fried. Tasted fine. Probably would be easiest if it was minced and used in patties. Not sure how it would go if frozen but can't see a problem given how it tasted fresh

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:47 pm

I've eaten it a few times and always rubbish and tastes like mud. They are what I grew up catching as a kid. First time we had a fire going and just threw 1 on it. Little later we thought oh that seems cooked let's try it. Well it was shocking. Another time at a carp competition they had a chef do all sorts of carp. All taster the same to me. Mud!
I'd never keep 1 for the table I'll go hungry instead.

Desperate Guy

Post by Desperate Guy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:06 pm

Lol my family (Chinese) often get carp straight out of the original water source and end up cooking them whole in a soup/broth with ZERO fear of the bones no matter how small the fish. They can take whole mouthfuls of carp and just magically start dispensing bones one after another. Nearly all freshwater fish over in China have bones like carp and as I haven’t yet (I don’t think I ever will, every time I try, I end up getting bones in my throat :oops: ) mastered their techniques I often miss out in tasty dishes and specialties :down: .

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:08 pm

Pretty sure it is illegal to transport live redfin, carp and other noxious pests too. Gummy bait they are best for imo.

Bob Nudd

Post by Bob Nudd » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:15 pm

Ekaz3556 wrote:Carp is ok, boney as buggery though. Impossible to fillet. I have eaten it within hours of catching it, just rolled in flour and shallow fried. Tasted fine. Probably would be easiest if it was minced and used in patties. Not sure how it would go if frozen but can't see a problem given how it tasted fresh
filleting carp is indeed difficult, so it is usually cooked differently. it just gets sliced into thin (important) "steaks" and then pan fried in oil to the point where it gets fairly crispy. this way most of the bones fry out. tastes fine.

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:04 am

Sounds like it will be an important food source in times of starvation

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:51 am

Queasy wrote:Pretty sure it is illegal to transport live redfin, carp and other noxious pests too. Gummy bait they are best for imo.

Finally someone that takes note of the rules and regulations.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:07 am

I wasnt sure if the regs appied cos they were a pest fish since its illegal to put them back

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:08 am

► Show Spoiler
Bob Nudd wrote:
Ekaz3556 wrote:Carp is ok, boney as buggery though. Impossible to fillet. I have eaten it within hours of catching it, just rolled in flour and shallow fried. Tasted fine. Probably would be easiest if it was minced and used in patties. Not sure how it would go if frozen but can't see a problem given how it tasted fresh
filleting carp is indeed difficult, so it is usually cooked differently. it just gets sliced into thin (important) "steaks" and then pan fried in oil to the point where it gets fairly crispy. this way most of the bones fry out. tastes fine.

You do make them look good

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:14 am

I guess its just a matter of taste and preference. Globally it is a cheap viable protein source.
One man's fruit is another man's poison.
Not all meat can be cooked the same way , probably something else to take into consideration.

flash frying a brisket for example might not be the best way to get the most out of it , rather have that from a slow cooker .

I can speak from an Indian Perspective and Carp is eaten quite a bit there, deep fried or curried, with heaps of spices and fresh coriander and tastes just fine for those who have a palate tilted towards that taste.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”