Squid calamari fridge

How to prepare and cook your catch.
crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Squid calamari fridge

Post by crumpet_avenger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:29 pm

Up until 2 weeks ago i would of said ip to 5 days..

I went to go fishing last Friday night but had a little bit of the squirts the day before. I was the only 1 in the family to have it and was the only 1 to eat 5 day old uncooked pinkies.

They had a bit of a meaty smell but i thought itd be ok. Safe to say i fished for an hour. Slept for 3 and went home just before primetime dusk because i couldnt stop.spewing and shitting.

Today is 7 days to the day and im still not flash. Ive lost 4 kgs so not all bad....but 1 more day and im off to the quacks. 2 days or freeze or discard. I wont make the mistake again

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:35 pm

If fresh should be fine in the fridge for 2-3 days :)

Duffman

Post by Duffman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:35 pm

Labido wrote:im not sure what you mean when you say dont clean with freash water.

Do you mean dont clean with fresh water full stop, or dont wash with freshwater when freezing.

Also, can i clean the squid before freezing ?
You shouldn't use fresh water to clean salt water fish full stop. If you are eating your squid, definitely clean it before freezing

Labido

Post by Labido » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Great, thank you so much to everyone for replying , this has been very informative and i shall take all on board

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:23 pm

I myself say upto 5 days. When I catch fish I keep a feed or 2 in the fridge to be eaten fresh. Anything else gets frozen straight away.
The way I look at it. The commercial boats catch their fish and are out on the water for a few days than it comes back in and is processed than distributed out to Supermarkets, fishmongers, restaurants etc. By the time you get it home and on the plate it’s probly a week old. I don’t buy fish from the supermarket tho mostly due to it looking rank plus hate paying for something I can get myself. But they get away with it. Obviously it’s not all like that but I’m sure some of the fish isn’t that fresh.

deathray
Has liked: 8 times

Post by deathray » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:25 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:Up until 2 weeks ago i would of said ip to 5 days..

I went to go fishing last Friday night but had a little bit of the squirts the day before. I was the only 1 in the family to have it and was the only 1 to eat 5 day old uncooked pinkies.

They had a bit of a meaty smell but i thought itd be ok. Safe to say i fished for an hour. Slept for 3 and went home just before primetime dusk because i couldnt stop.spewing and shitting.

Today is 7 days to the day and im still not flash. Ive lost 4 kgs so not all bad....but 1 more day and im off to the quacks. 2 days or freeze or discard. I wont make the mistake again
More power too you!, you’re complete disregard for weather warnings and general food hygiene recommendations is highly admirable.

crumpet_avenger

Post by crumpet_avenger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:51 pm

deathray wrote:

More power too you!, you’re complete disregard for weather warnings and general food hygiene recommendations is highly admirable.
Weather warnings?
Lasy friday was a 10 - 15 knot east to south east wind. Pretty flat where i fish you knowall.

Catching a fish on a friday night then put on ice and bringing it home on a saturday, put in a fridge should be fine until monday. I left it until tuesday. I wont make that mistake again as i stated.
Your disregard for weather warnings is crap. I know where i fish and i back myself as ive said before. Experience has taught me lots of things..

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:36 am

I would say it was.off lol.
Think of the positive you lost some weight.

Mite be worth going to the chemist and getting some hydrolite icepoles to replace your electolytes

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:06 am

I'd eat up to 5 days after... but that is making sure that the fish was put on ice straight away and gutted that day.

I've never vac sealed but I try to stay away from freezing the fish... I'd prefer to take what I can eat fresh and let the rest go. If I want frozen seafood it's cheaper to get it from the supermarket.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:10 am

Lecterfan wrote:
4liters wrote:Best thing is to avoid putting it in the fridge altogether and simply dry it. We have the perfect climate for it, hot, low humidity and so on

Yummy
You say "simply" dry it, but I suspect there is more to it than that. I've had a quick google and didn't find much - could you please link some relevant material, I'm really keen on this idea. Cheers.
Hang them from the clothes line on a warm windy day?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”