cleaning/skinning a gummy.

How to prepare and cook your catch.
scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Re: cleaning/skinning a gummy.

Post by scott__henning » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:43 am

After catching my fair share of gummies over the past year, I've had plenty of opportunities to test each method.

I've found myself that bleeding and gutting onsite will absolutely improve the eating taste. The guts touching the flesh though, well that can't be helped sometimes but I haven't noticed any difference. I don't usually put my fish on ice but will if I have any, again I haven't noticed much difference in that regard.

The biggest flavour killer is size. Andy thing over 4 foot goes right back for a swim now.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:09 am

Mishachief wrote:I believe if you don't bleed, and gut the gummy's asap... there is a build up of ammonia(toxins building after death in the gut etc) that makes it taste a bit crook.

same reason you get dead fish out of a fish tank asap.

ive always bleed and gutted on the spot, then put on ice
this artical applies to all sharks including gummies and schoolies

http://www.fishintech.com/articles---cl ... e-bad.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why some Sharks taste Bad….

Quickly - the science of why sharks are different from other bony fish when it comes to eating them….

Sharks (unlike other fish) use urea to maintain osmotic balance with seawater... Why is this bad??

Urea (NH2) 2CO is how our bodies and their bodies chemically bind nitrogenous waste so that it does not turn into ammonia (NH3) inside our bodies - which of course is very poisonous and smells really bad…

If urea is not expelled out of the body often (we urinate or pee it out of our system) the urea will break down chemically and turn to ammonia. Removing this urea before it turns to ammonia is what dialysis does for people in kidney failure.

Sharks store Urea in all their tissues to help their bodies maintain a chemical (ionic) balance with the surrounding saltwater.

We do not store urea in our tissues - it's removed from the blood quickly by the kidneys and mixed with the water from the beer we drink - then stored in the bladder - this is why beer is good for you.

If a shark is not bleed thoroughly (which removes the bulk of the blood containing urea from body) the urea will turn to ammonia - resulting in the bad taste...

The remaining urea stored in other tissues like the skin and meat will quickly turn to ammonia also - but chilling the carcass will slow the breakdown of urea - until the skin can be removed and meat further processed.

Some shark species seem to store more or less urea in their meat than other - which ones I don't know ….

However - the species that are commonly accepted as good to eat - if handled correctly - may be a good indicator...

Finally - in the best case - you are still eating the urea stored in their muscles (meat) - that with proper handling you have slowed from turning to ammonia….

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also blead and gut my gummies on the water asap and give the blood lines along the spine a good wash out before keeping them cool
the old wifes tail of other gummies being put off the bite by cleaning them on the water is just that - I have caught many fish soon after gutting other gummies
in fact I look for used Mantis Srimp in there gut these are deadly gummies baits even second hand
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Mishachief

Post by Mishachief » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:41 am

geeez they have peee flesh.... now that's gotta make Bear Grils hungry!!!!

thanks for that info, enlightening.... and ewwww cos I like flake...but now...(must not think Bear Grils, must not think Bear Grils)

:)
♥♥♥ Life's a Beach, So Go Fishing! ♥♥♥

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:16 am

I have tried most methods and found this to be the best which is what the pros do.

Remove head, fins, gut and wash immediately, takes about 1-2 minutes.

The trunk is then packed in ice.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:26 pm

I've started freezing my gummys for at least 24 hours. Then defrosting on a plastic cake style tray so all the goop that comes out of the flesh can drop off. The palatability of gummies since doing this has increased a lot.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:36 pm

Freeze after filleting and portioning?

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:45 pm

Yeah mate. I freeze them into glad bags. Take out a portion and defrost overnight out of the bag on a plate sitting on the plastic tray but covered in glad wrap so it doesn't dry out

Gummys taste good anyway. But this truly does improve it. Tested it side by side. Fillets from a 6kg gummy frozen for a week. Beside fillets from a 5kg gummy fresh caught that day.

It's one of the few fish I'll freeze.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:11 pm

I have tried it but the flesh tends to fall apart after being frozen.

Perhaps I need to make the sections a bit thicker.

flatty attack

Post by flatty attack » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:35 pm

frozenpod wrote:I have tried most methods and found this to be the best which is what the pros do.

Remove head, fins, gut and wash immediately, takes about 1-2 minutes.

The trunk is then packed in ice.
spot on frozenpod thats the best and only way to ensure freshness and free of any bacteria and toxins enjoy your flake everyone . :hitit:

Dano

Post by Dano » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:56 pm

try to fillet and skin at the ramp so u have access to salt water. fresh water ruins the meat

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”