Anyone here into eating carp?

How to prepare and cook your catch.
RottenRon

Re: Anyone here into eating carp?

Post by RottenRon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:46 am

Rod Bender wrote:
SFP Chick wrote:my preference is to dispatch quickly & bin. I really can't come at leaving dead carp on the bank either. I don't think it's a pleasant environment for the next fishos to that spot.

cheers Amanda :grin:
I 'dispatch' them quickly then put them back in the water and I can guarantee that the fish will die. If I get one with eggs, it is killed and then I leave it on the bank for a while before returning it to the water. I doubt it would have any chance of ditching its eggs anyway. I'm not sure what the water is like where you fishing people catch your carp but if there is cod, crays. yabbies etc. in the waters where you fish, they will clean the dead carp up quickly. There are no bins where I fish as well!
thanks
Jim
I could be wrong here, but technically, I think even putting them back in the water dead is against the rules. Hell, you can't even cut them up and use em for bait.

No bins? I usually have a shovel in my fourby, so I dig a hole and use em for fertilizer. That's of course if it's a place where I won't get shot for digging holes.

Speaking of Carp, check out one of my posts about a 22kg monster.

Cheers, Ron.
If you think you can,,,,, or you think you can't,,,,, you're probably right.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:19 am

RottenRon wrote:
Rod Bender wrote:
SFP Chick wrote:my preference is to dispatch quickly & bin. I really can't come at leaving dead carp on the bank either. I don't think it's a pleasant environment for the next fishos to that spot.

I 'dispatch' them quickly then put them back in the water and I can guarantee that the fish will die. If I get one with eggs, it is killed and then I leave it on the bank for a while before returning it to the water. I doubt it would have any chance of ditching its eggs anyway. I'm not sure what the water is like where you fishing people catch your carp but if there is cod, crays. yabbies etc. in the waters where you fish, they will clean the dead carp up quickly. There are no bins where I fish as well!
thanks
Jim
I could be wrong here, but technically, I think even putting them back in the water dead is against the rules. Hell, you can't even cut them up and use em for bait.

No bins? I usually have a shovel in my fourby, so I dig a hole and use em for fertilizer. That's of course if it's a place where I won't get shot for digging holes.

Cheers, Ron.
The rules state that carp can not be released 'alive' back into the water. Believe me, they do not swim far when I finish with them! :-D As I mentioned earlier, I do take a few more precautions if they are carrying eggs. I am also thinking of taking a shovel and burying spawning carp just to make sure. Only issue is, some places I go, it is impossible to dig unless I jump fences and enter private property - which I am not going to do!

In regards to using carp for bait, the rules state that 'live' noxious species (including carp) may not be used. You can cut up carp and use it. The key is to just make sure it is dead in case you are checked by fisheries and/or in case you lose your bait. I have tried small chunks of carp once for Redfin but did no good. My intentions are to use it for cod. I will either cut small fillets off a large carp, or if I get a small carp (15 cms) I will decapitate it and use it 'whole'.

I may have mentioned earlier in this thread that I used to work for NRE/DPI within their agriculture research branch. This gave me access to fisheries officers and everything I do has their approval. Reality is, if you contacted DEPI for a ruling on what to do with carp, depending on who responds, they may say they 'must be buried'. This is just to cover themselves. I know how they operate! The rules are straight forward enough as far as I'm concerned.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

RottenRon

Post by RottenRon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:35 am

Rod Bender wrote:
RottenRon wrote:
Rod Bender wrote:

thanks
Jim

Cheers, Ron.
The rules state that carp can not be released 'alive' back into the water. Believe me, they do not swim far when I finish with them! :-D As I mentioned earlier, I do take a few more precautions if they are carrying eggs. I am also thinking of taking a shovel and burying spawning carp just to make sure. Only issue is, some places I go, it is impossible to dig unless I jump fences and enter private property - which I am not going to do!

In regards to using carp for bait, the rules state that 'live' noxious species (including carp) may not be used. You can cut up carp and use it. The key is to just make sure it is dead in case you are checked by fisheries and/or in case you lose your bait. I have tried small chunks of carp once for Redfin but did no good. My intentions are to use it for cod. I will either cut small fillets off a large carp, or if I get a small carp (15 cms) I will decapitate it and use it 'whole'.

I may have mentioned earlier in this thread that I used to work for NRE/DPI within their agriculture research branch. This gave me access to fisheries officers and everything I do has their approval. Reality is, if you contacted DEPI for a ruling on what to do with carp, depending on who responds, they may say they 'must be buried'. This is just to cover themselves. I know how they operate! The rules are straight forward enough as far as I'm concerned.
thanks
Jim
Fair enough, I stand corrected. I must admit, it's been a long time since I first read the rules on the use/disposal of carp. Since I been living in the NT and then Qld for the last 22 years, I haven't had the need to recall the rules. Admittedly, there are more and more carp being caught in southern Qld these days, fortunately though, since I don't do that much freshwater fishing, I haven't caught one since I lived in Horsham, about 23 years ago. Since I'm doing more freshwater fishing down here, I know that's soon to change, unfortunately.

Thanks for the update,
Cheers, Ron.
If you think you can,,,,, or you think you can't,,,,, you're probably right.

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:07 pm

Re disposal of Carp. Given that few fishos carry a shovel while walking the banks, I checked this out years ago for our Club, with following response from Dept of Sustainabilty and Enviroment , 13th Nov 2006.
"Captured Carp can be disposed of on land as for any other type of fish waste, or they can be killed quickly and humanely as possible and returned to the water.
Suggestions were 1.Cut the throat
2.Bend head back and break the neck.
3. Do not throw the fish back without rupturing the air bladder which is located along the spine in the gut cavity, it is easily lanced with a knife. This will ensure the fish sinks, to be cleaned up by carrion feeders within the system.Dead fish floating can be offensive to others"

I don't know too many that would be offended but have made big holes in them to make sure the fish sinks ever since and felt I was doing the right thing. Probably one more step would be to check for eggs which could be removed and disposed of on the bank relatively easily.
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:51 pm

I have found brain spiking works best.

Doesn't attract any attention and kills them instantly.

As to eating them I have tried them once and it was horrible. Each to there own I guess.

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:05 pm

Don't spew!!! But I have eaten carp that was prepared by Macedonian friends of my late father it took them about 3 days to prepare it. They cooked it on the barby and it didn't taste too bad. To much mucking around for me give me a reddie any day

lithium1

Post by lithium1 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:57 am

My mrs is from Poland and they love em over there. She refuses to go fishing with me as she simply cant understand why we knock them off instead of eating them. I should let her try one, maybe that'll change her mind :D

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”