Crab cooking!! (Quick Asian style Cooking)

How to prepare and cook your catch.
vinhii

Crab cooking!! (Quick Asian style Cooking)

Post by vinhii » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi guys & gals!!

I noticed that some of you guys duno how to cook the crabs you guys catch ... So Here it is im making a Thread just for you guys! hehe!

So very quick , Very simple. Two ways of preparing and eating! ill explain both! hehe

What you will need (simple Version)
:-

Crabs
pepper
salt
lemons

Method:-

Really basic and easy, grab your Crabs get into a sink with half the sink filled with water throw your crabs in there, Give them a good toss around in there, its to get all the sand out, Do that twice remember to refresh the water, you can do it a Third time just to be sure! :)

Once your Done , Grab a Pot with water , bring to the boil! , Once its boiled throw your crabs in and let on boil for bout 15-20minutes (Also depending how many crabs you have in the pot boil it for longer if you have heaps of crabs!), After that Give it a drain.

For the Sauce:-
This is what i like to eat it with, So grab the lemons bout 2-3 lemons, cut them in half and just squeeze out the Juice into a bowl.

In the Same Bowl , Add bout 2-3 tablespoons of Pepper ( i usually use the black pepper but any is fine )
also in the same bowl put bout the same amount of salt in .
Give that a mix if its too dry, add more lemon juice, and thats your dipping sauce! Enjoy!! hehe

Method 2:-

What you will need:-
1-2 mud crabs
Egg noodles ( or any other Noodles you prefer but egg noodles work best! purchased from the asian grocery)
shallots - cut into nice finger length peices
ginger - cut into nice thin long slices
garlic - diced
salt
corn starch
soy sauce
A cup of water

Cleaning of the Crab!:-
Turn the Mud/spider/snow crab or whatever type of crab you have over onto its back, Theres a flap on its belly side (triangular flap) peel that all the way back right over the crab and itll come right off, Under that shell is what is known to be "Mustard" As i explained, Its accidently mistaken for the crabs guts and poop.

NOTE!:-
Do not throw that "mustard" under the crabs shell away.
The only part you cannot eat is the Gills , So you can chop and clean it away,.. Once thats done Give it another wash and shes Ready to go!

Now with this method its abit more time and preparation! :)
So same as above give your crabs a good wash, This dish works for Mud crabs from your Seafood market!
So after you got your crabs/mud crab , grab a butches knife and turn the crab over onto its back and chop it into 4 sections

Note:-
if you have a mud crab, After youve chopped into 4 sections , With the back of your butchers knife give them a crush (the claws) so that the hard thick shell are opened up for easier cooking.
once youve peeled open the mud crab, there`ll be a bit known as "mustard" which is mistaken for the crabs guts. You must keep this for the dish because this gives the entire dish its yummy flavour!

Ok, Now grabbing a Wok or a big deep pan, put oil into your wok/pan along with the garlic , wait till the garlic browns then throw in the ginger aswell.. Also adding the "Mustard" stir for bout 3-mins.

Then throw in the crabs! Remember to keep stirring the crab while its in the wok/pan , Covering it for acouple of minutes can speed up the cooking time too. You can tell when crab is cooked with it redness in colour

So now add the water, dash of soy sauce, pinch of salt and keep stirring , let simmer for couple minutes
Adding to the simmering sauce , Put 2 table spoons of corn starch into the simmering sauce and stir ( this will make your sauce thick & Gravy, Also remember to add the Shallots now. and Cover

While that is covered and simmering on low heat. Grab another pot with water, Bring to the boil , Add your Egg noodles cook for only couple minutes or till cooked then Drain it and wash under cold water and place onto a fairly decent sized plate.

Take Crab off the Heat, Place it ontop of the Egg noodles that you have plated up, And there you have it!! Mud crabs served with egg noodles, Just an Asian way to eat crabs! YUMMY!!! Serve with some beers! and enjoy!!

If you guys have any Questions, Feel free to ask , Hope this really helps for any people in the future who catches heaps of crabs and wants to try this recipe!

Cheers vinhii! :waving:

P.s The picture attached is what it should look like :)
Attachments
Mud crab.jpg
Mud crab.jpg (234.21 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
Last edited by vinhii on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

keep_itsimple

Re: Crab cooking!! (Quick Asian style Cooking)

Post by keep_itsimple » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:25 pm

Can u catch crabs in wpb or ppb? Sand or mud?

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:16 pm

Last edited by shazdoggg on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:17 pm

Last edited by shazdoggg on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I got time,
been fishin since a kid,

keep_itsimple

Post by keep_itsimple » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:46 pm

Where can u get mud crabs

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:51 pm

Last edited by shazdoggg on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I got time,
been fishin since a kid,

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:27 pm

Last edited by shazdoggg on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I got time,
been fishin since a kid,

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:38 pm

shazdoggg wrote:If you want crabs looks like lakes entrance is the go according to this report: http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/03/26/2857602.htm

shazdoggg
The crabs are crazy at lakes entrance. I went in 2009 and you'd get one every time you dropped down. Got some massive ones as well with claws that could crush your finger as easy as we pick up a tennis ball :whoh:
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:53 pm

shazdoggg wrote:and vinhii, your recepie looks delicious but you didnt actually descibe your method of cleaning the crab?? Do you clean out the guts and gills before cooking?

shazdoggg
Oh woops lol hehehe ill fix that right up now *editing* hehe :mrgreen:

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:55 pm

TrevKing wrote:
shazdoggg wrote:If you want crabs looks like lakes entrance is the go according to this report: http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/03/26/2857602.htm

shazdoggg
The crabs are crazy at lakes entrance. I went in 2009 and you'd get one every time you dropped down. Got some massive ones as well with claws that could crush your finger as easy as we pick up a tennis ball :whoh:

Niceee trevking!! ,.. i was down in lakes entrance probly couple years back hehehe caught by the pot load! we all had a feast and it was fantastic!! hehehe

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”