Lure fishing off the beach - equipment advice?

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
brybry

Re: Lure fishing off the beach - equipment advice?

Post by brybry » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:38 pm

A 9ft rod and 4000 size reel are great for surf beaches, but for any of the bayside beaches, its probably too heavy.

Perhaps something like the Daiwa Gen Black Weed Wand with a 2500 size reel might be more suited.

LightninLopez

Post by LightninLopez » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:57 pm

Cool. You guys rock. I actually have a Shimano Catana paired with a 2500 reel, but I wasn't too crazy about the range I was getting on it... but based on this info, that probably says more about my casting and the lures/jig heads I'm using. Might pair my 4000 reel with something a little bigger, for hte sake of versatility and stick with those two.

What lures do you(se) prefer? I've used mainly SPs and they have certainly done the trick so far for flatties and Australian Salmon, but if I were gonna get some hard lures or poppers, any preferred brands or types?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:52 pm

40g Halco Outcasts from Kmart are my go to metal lures for surf spinning.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:42 pm

LightninLopez wrote:Cool. You guys rock. I actually have a Shimano Catana paired with a 2500 reel, but I wasn't too crazy about the range I was getting on it... but based on this info, that probably says more about my casting and the lures/jig heads I'm using. Might pair my 4000 reel with something a little bigger, for hte sake of versatility and stick with those two.

What lures do you(se) prefer? I've used mainly SPs and they have certainly done the trick so far for flatties and Australian Salmon, but if I were gonna get some hard lures or poppers, any preferred brands or types?
Distance wise, you'll be hard pressed to beat a 50 gram lazer or Busted 45. Sea iron lures go like missiles as well.
Gillies baitfish fly true, with good distance, and are proven fish catchers.

Return to “Surf Fishing”