nitro messiah

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

nitro messiah

Post by dazz999 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:50 pm

i have the nitro messiah with the emcast plus 6000a reel 30lb power pro a long leader on 2oz sinker what sort of distance casting with this setup is a fair distance cheers dazz

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: nitro messiah

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:49 pm

dazz999 wrote:i have the nitro messiah with the emcast plus 6000a reel 30lb power pro a long leader on 2oz sinker what sort of distance casting with this setup is a fair distance cheers dazz
This is an individual thing, I have a surf assassin and can get about 110 metres with a 45gram lure without much practise.

Things start to change as soon as you add bait, this cause wind resistance and decreases distance, so the larger the bait the smaller the distance achieved that will be achieved.

With the Frankenstein, I can get around 150 metres with 125 grams.

So what distance are you achieving?

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:51 pm

I should also add, that standing on the jetty at Olivers hill I can sometimes almost hit the yellow pole marker.

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:00 am

If u use a pulley Rig, to keep your Bait in line, even with a whole Pilchard you should get around the 100 m mark without having to do a pendulum cast. Wouldnt recoimmend a pendulum cast on the Messiah if u are using anything heavier than 4 oz either.

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:01 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
dazz999 wrote:i have the nitro messiah with the emcast plus 6000a reel 30lb power pro a long leader on 2oz sinker what sort of distance casting with this setup is a fair distance cheers dazz
This is an individual thing, I have a surf assassin and can get about 110 metres with a 45gram lure without much practise.

Things start to change as soon as you add bait, this cause wind resistance and decreases distance, so the larger the bait the smaller the distance achieved that will be achieved.

With the Frankenstein, I can get around 150 metres with 125 grams.

So what distance are you achieving?
say about 45 metres with a bit under half a pilly on one hook and squid on the other

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:08 am

piscateur wrote:If u use a pulley Rig, to keep your Bait in line, even with a whole Pilchard you should get around the 100 m mark without having to do a pendulum cast. Wouldnt recoimmend a pendulum cast on the Messiah if u are using anything heavier than 4 oz either.
100m guess i need to practice as for the pendulum cast not going to try that i think the first and only time i have seen the cast live was a guy at brighton pier late last year with he,s mate it was insane to watch this guy was very good and the distances he was getting blew my mind with very little effort

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:11 am

i did read a old post about tyeing a tennis ball on to practice whats the go with that or was that a joke

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:34 pm

Im sooo far from being an adequate Surf Fisho, but just understanding loading the rod properly helped me heaps. I reckon with a whole Pillie the good casters would top out at 130M. I would get between 80 to 90+ I reckon, but the pulley rig is critical. A paternoster with a full pillis just hanging free, would severely cut that distance.
I have seen Vids or Peeps practicing with a tennis Ball, Jeremey Schreader whos a member on here does distance casting and he'd be better placed to comment.

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:49 pm

piscateur wrote:Im sooo far from being an adequate Surf Fisho, but just understanding loading the rod properly helped me heaps. I reckon with a whole Pillie the good casters would top out at 130M. I would get between 80 to 90+ I reckon, but the pulley rig is critical. A paternoster with a full pillis just hanging free, would severely cut that distance.
I have seen Vids or Peeps practicing with a tennis Ball, Jeremey Schreader whos a member on here does distance casting and he'd be better placed to comment.
thank,s for the reply i have looked at the pulley rig pricey but hey and loading up the rod noway im doing that properly a bit lost with such a long rod how much rod length do you have your sinker when u are about to cast cheers dazz

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:06 pm

A AFL football is approximately 125 metres in length, but some are longer, so if there is a cricket pitch in the middle it is about 60 metres from the goal. A rugby field should be 100 metres in length.

When I first started casting I was getting between 45 to 60 metres. So don't dispair, Jeremy gives some great tips.

Return to “Surf Fishing”