Surf casting secrets

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Surf casting secrets

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:13 pm

It is easy to assume that someone knows what you know, but then others keep little secrets that can make a difference. :whoh:

It should be a hangable offense to keep these secrets. :sad: :angry:

The other day at Lang Lang a complete stranger showed me the pulley system he uses to get his casts out further. He imports his little bits and pieces for the UK as they are difficult to source in Australia.

Secret one, a running sinker rig is hopeless for distance in the surf.

Now I have made up a couple of these pulley rigs and will go and give them a try out later.

JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Surf casting secrets

Post by JS270 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:24 pm

No Secrects in the Australian Surfcasting Federation

Well we had our first social night out for some of the members as well as some of the guys from the Footscray angling club where the night was held and must say it was a great way to wind down and relax with like minded people.

We had a few rods for the people to have a look at ant the new Century FMA that I am in the process of building was of interest to most who played with it and the look of supprise on their faces when it was loaded up was evident. Also of interest was the counterbalancing that I had set up for the full length TTR that Iwas planning on using the next day at our Lancefield comp. This rod is the standard full length version and with the counter balance come in at a long 14’ 8”. As most people would realise I am not a fan of the very long rods being only a short bloke but with the balance in place it made the rod a lot more manageable for me.

( Some of the rods that were available to play with )

As you will see in the photo’s the club rooms at the Footscray club reflect a lot of tradition, and it has a wealth of information for anyone living in or near the area who wants to learn from.

Additional; activities for the night were the number of DVD’s on fishing that showed topics like slide baiting for Sharks from the rocks as well as targeting Bronzies from the beach in South Africa.

( The guys enjoying the Pizza and discussing the Slide Baiting Techniques of the DVD )

What really interested a number of guys was the video footage of catching Mulloway in the Yarra that I had taken as well as pictures of some of the captures that I and people that I had helped get them sorted out on.

As a future activity I will be organising a few session with some of the guys showing them how I go about getting onto these fish and with a bit of Luck we may even be able to get a few on deck .

( Mick and Dennis enjoying the Pizza and banter on the night )

( Ken , Tony, Allan ,Chris and George enjoying the evening )

All in all it was a top evening and I look forward to having a few more of these with everyone as well as organising the fishing and casting days in the future.

To everyone who attended thanks for making the night so relaxed and enjoyable and a big note of thanks to the Footscray club for allowing us the use of the club rooms.

Regards
:D

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:21 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:It is easy to assume that someone knows what you know, but then others keep little secrets that can make a difference. :whoh:

It should be a hangable offense to keep these secrets. :sad: :angry:

The other day at Lang Lang a complete stranger showed me the pulley system he uses to get his casts out further. He imports his little bits and pieces for the UK as they are difficult to source in Australia.

Secret one, a running sinker rig is hopeless for distance in the surf.

Now I have made up a couple of these pulley rigs and will go and give them a try out later.

I've been looking at those for a while now, just haven't got round to making any as yet. Mainly because the beaches I fish do not depend on long casts ;) but that's another little secret best kept quiet :tongue:

JS, do you have a local source for some of the bits needed also any tutorial's on how to make them?
Would be great to add these in here somewhere :thumbsup:

JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Post by JS270 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:30 pm

I will put something together to share with you guys :D

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:37 pm

Tried out my homemade pulley rigs and they worked well. :tongue: :tongue:

Secret two, have a full spool with egg beater reels.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:25 pm

One of the most frustrating things, is that one can go seeking information, and unless the right questions are asked. questions can be remain unanswered.

Buy a dvd on surf casting, one may have to buy more than a dozen to get even a few answers to simple things or things that others take for granted.

hangsta*

Post by hangsta* » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:03 pm

here no secrets.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:20 pm

Went down to the local oval to measure out how far I actually manage to cast.

Now this oval, I barely seen anyone on it, but you guessed it, as soon as I got the rods out, people appeared from nowhere.

Took two rods, one 15 foot and the other 10 foot, cast weights from 2 to 4 oz.

Longest cast with the 15 foot was around 65 metres.

There was a dirt cricket pitch and impressive puffs of dust rose when I hit it with a sinker.

Longest cast with the 10' was about 55 metres. all using a eggbeater.

Should practise more with the overheads as I have 2.

Looking at purchasing some more rods(cough splatter, cough)

A place has 12' cantanas marked down from 199 to 150. but then JW for far less.

If I could achieve 75 to 100 metres regularly I'd be happy, well maybe for a while.

hangsta*

Post by hangsta* » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:34 pm

having trouble poting replys says my request is timed out

hangsta*

Post by hangsta* » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:35 pm

i'm not that quick on the old typing

Return to “Surf Fishing”