Switching Bait for Lures

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
Danners93

Switching Bait for Lures

Post by Danners93 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:35 pm

Hey all, long time reader first time poster here. I've been a long term baito with mixed results and have been eyeing off lure fishing from the surf for a while now. I've finally bitten the bullet and purchased myself some lures in hope of getting onto a decent sized salmon this winter and was hoping for some advice on what I don't need and what I do need. My main surf fishing spots are gunna, venus bay, and beaches along the GOR (moggs creek, jan juc, lorne etc) Any advice/tip is helpful and appreciated as for the first time in a while I feel like a rookie. A list of everything I have currently;

. Shimano Dialuna XR 906ML "all-rounder" rod 9.6 in length
. Shimano Sustain 5000 reel with 18lb braid
. Richter lures (3/4 ounce to 2 ounces)
. Angry bait lures ( 30 - 60 grams)
. Minnow style metal lures (had these for a while no idea where they came from haha)
. Busted 75's
. Busted 45's
. Barrett 45's
. 20lb mono leader
. 40lb mono leader
. 60lb mono leader
. Swivels
. Pliers
. Braid/mono scissors

Is there anything here I don't need? And more importantly anything I'm missing? Seeing what some of you blokes have caught on lures has really inspired me to make the switch and I'm hoping to have even just a portion of your success. Thanks in advance for any advice you may give and thanks for the tips you've already provided me through this forum!

Cheers, Daniel. :)

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Switching Bait for Lures

Post by Fish-cador » Mon May 29, 2017 9:54 pm

You dont need swivels

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue May 30, 2017 12:00 am

dialuna is a very nice rod mate but a bit light for the lures you plan to use i'd have thought? they are rated 6-28g if i remember correctly. they're seabass gear, designed to throw hardbodies and vibes etc.

as for everything else, you won't need anything higher than 20lb leader for salmon on beaches (or anywhere else really). tie to braid with an improved albright and leave the knot out of the guides. attach the lure how you prefer, i use a snap swivel.

brybry

Post by brybry » Tue May 30, 2017 1:49 am

Seem to have all the essentials. Like Basti said, 20lb is probably as high as you need. I also use snap swivels.

Maybe some surface lures down the track. Also, and I will probably get laughed at, but I use a finger guard. Casting braid for a few hours can take its toll, especially if you have delicate office hands like mine!

Keep it simple and travel as light as you can....

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue May 30, 2017 7:26 am

40g Halco Outcast lures and some single hooks to replace the trebles?

I'd be checking the casting weight of that rod too, if Basti is right those Busted 75s are probably going to break it
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue May 30, 2017 2:44 pm

I would change the rod if you haven't already purchased it to something heavier. the 906m (not available in aus) is closer to what you are looking for still a tiny bit on the light side though. To that list I would add some clips for changing lures, add your swivel to the front of these, loose the heavy leaders and stick with 20lb, the 75 busteds won't cast well on most light salmon rods either.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Danners93

Post by Danners93 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:56 pm

Thanks heaps for the feedback guys, on closer inspection you are correct my rod is slightly too light for the bigger lures I have! Looks like I'll just be using the lighter ones until I can upgrade to something a bit heavier :) thankyou all for saving me from the heartbreak of breaking my favourite rod :')

mpharris66

Post by mpharris66 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:50 am

I was at Kilcunda (you’ll hear me start most posts with that!)... 2hrs for one salmon then switched to 8ounce lure on same 12ft rod and got 2 more in 15mins. I’m practically converted lol

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:03 am

mpharris66 wrote:I was at Kilcunda (you’ll hear me start most posts with that!)... 2hrs for one salmon then switched to 8ounce lure on same 12ft rod and got 2 more in 15mins. I’m practically converted lol
That’s it mate. I find that it’s much more fun with lures as well. Love feeling the initial hit :thumbsup:

Return to “Surf Fishing”