Portland Trip.

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
Al03

Portland Trip.

Post by Al03 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:44 am

Gents, have been haunting this sight for a while now, finally got back from a week away at Portland. Rock and beach fishing primarily. Tried all sorts of baits, don't flick lures as a rule. Picked up a couple of nice salmon around 3 pound each. After the big blow, bull kelp was a major problem on the Southern side.
Lot's of juvenile salmon around as well as the odd mullet. Funny thing was, the best bait we found, was my old go to being chicken fillet. Every time you threw a pippi out you were just smashed. Used squid as a cocktail with the pippi as well.
Fished the Lee breakwall several times as well. Juvenile Snapper were in plague proportions. Also picked up a grass Whiting, a just size trevally, a tiny flat head and my all time faves toad fish.
A couple of good snapper were caught on the Lee at night, being 8 pound and 10 pound respectively. If you are after a good cheap feed in Portland with great tap beer, try the Royal Hotel. Locals were friendly and happy to pass on their knowledge. Best thing was being a main bar you don't have to dress up and can turn up in your fishing outfit. Hope this has been of interest to people out there.

Bugatti

Re: Portland Trip.

Post by Bugatti » Mon May 06, 2019 11:19 am

G'day Al03

Nice report, seemed like a great time in Portland too. Some nice Salmon for you too.

I have notice that a better chance on the big Snapper are at night and those are nice at 8 & 10 pounds.

So you're the one that's been haunting this site, I had a sense there were Ghosts on here, but I'd say you'd be like Casper, a friendly Ghost.

Casper the Friendly Ghost.jpg

And nothing beats a good Ol Pub Parmie, thanks for the tip.

Parmie.jpg

Cheers, Bugatti

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Mon May 06, 2019 11:41 am

Handy Report!
Nice work. Thanks for the tip about the pub, will keep in mind.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Mon May 06, 2019 8:35 pm

good job

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:03 pm

Good report mate

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 06, 2019 9:54 pm

Sounds like a nice getaway for a week.
Portland is definitely a beautiful place. I was last up there a few years ago now.
Thanks for the tip about the hotel mate. Might grab myself a meal and a beer when I’m up there next time.
Cheers :thumbsup:

Return to “Surf Fishing”