Beach fishing around PPB?

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Beach fishing around PPB?

Post by croe04 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:40 pm

Hi All

Since it's nearing winter and the salmon are beginning to show up, I wanted to have a go at fishing from the beach. It looks like heaps of fun, but since I'm in bayside and I don't have my own car yet getting to an ideal place like Gunnamatta or Venus bay is pretty much off the table unfortunately.

About the closest thing to 'beach' fishing I could think of was wading around the ankle deep water at Sandringham anchorage and casting out into the deeper parts in the marina, or fishing off of the bluff at half moon bay, but they're not really beaches at all.

If anyone knows of anywhere close by that could work, let me know. I'd be super grateful as i'm very, very keen to get out there.

P.S, Thanks to all the fellas who have given me advice recently even if i've been a bit of an annoyance with my incessant questions, I've started to catch a few salt water fish recently and have had a cracker of a time because you guys were super helpful :)

Cheers

croe

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Beach fishing around PPB?

Post by 4liters » Mon May 20, 2019 7:44 pm

Are you specifically wanting to fish off a beach or any place you can get salmon? A lot of piers have them and over winter there's a lot more space to move around.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:00 pm

4liters wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:44 pm
Are you specifically wanting to fish off a beach or any place you can get salmon? A lot of piers have them and over winter there's a lot more space to move around.
More looking to fish off a beach, I just mentioned salmon they chase baitfish around the shallows and they would be what you'd be predominatly catching from the beach this time of year.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Mon May 20, 2019 8:01 pm

croe04 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:40 pm
Hi All

Since it's nearing winter and the salmon are beginning to show up, I wanted to have a go at fishing from the beach. It looks like heaps of fun, but since I'm in bayside and I don't have my own car yet getting to an ideal place like Gunnamatta or Venus bay is pretty much off the table unfortunately.

About the closest thing to 'beach' fishing I could think of was wading around the ankle deep water at Sandringham anchorage and casting out into the deeper parts in the marina, or fishing off of the bluff at half moon bay, but they're not really beaches at all.

If anyone knows of anywhere close by that could work, let me know. I'd be super grateful as i'm very, very keen to get out there.

P.S, Thanks to all the fellas who have given me advice recently even if i've been a bit of an annoyance with my incessant questions, I've started to catch a few salt water fish recently and have had a cracker of a time because you guys were super helpful :)

Cheers

croe
I fished the beach left to the rockwall a while ago and caught a kilo'ish salmon on lure. Around September it was I think, cold strong onshore wind.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon May 20, 2019 8:29 pm

croe04 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:40 pm
Hi All

Cheers

croe
The salmon are usually highly mobile, at certain particular areas can be a hotspot. Piers, such as Sorrento, Blairgowrie, Mornington, Frankston, Mordialloc can fish extremely well in the bite window, that my last a few minutes to about 30 mins usually in the evening just on dusk.

The mouth of the Patto river, Olivers Hill, and down at Mt Martha Belcombe Creek mouth can be good spots.

One day at Olivers Hill, I was just casting for practise and started getting hits, down sized my lure and I caught a few salmon.

It's a matter of doing some research, visiting certain location to see if the salmon have been busy. There is also the Garfish to be caught as well.

If you can get some wheels, Inverloch at Pensioners point can be a lot of fun.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon May 20, 2019 9:09 pm

Spot x...west , south west wind..
20190520_210701.jpg
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 20, 2019 10:12 pm

A lot of the good beaches I know are much further. I just got back from Venus bay and we did alright with a mixed bag of salmons, mullet and a nice size tailor as well. I highly recommend it if you can get the chance to go down there.
Around locally I have done alright from the beach at black rock. Drive down to the car park and then go left. Have had success casting from the rock ledge there as well and the beach that runs along the other side :)

FishHunter81

Post by FishHunter81 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:48 pm

I want to go to Venus bay in June long weekend. Did you fish morning evening day? I also want to try gummy fishing and I've heard Maher's landing is good on low tide. Cheer's

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 21, 2019 10:49 am

FishHunter81 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:48 pm
I want to go to Venus bay in June long weekend. Did you fish morning evening day? I also want to try gummy fishing and I've heard Maher's landing is good on low tide. Cheer's
That would be a good time to go mate.
It was a last minute decision to go. We picked up a friend and arrived late arvo on Saturday.
Fished that night with the run in tide hoping for a gummy with the full moon but no luck. But we did get a few salmon and a big tailor.
The next morning we fished the high tide again starting from around 10 am through till around 3pm. Would have stayed longer but had to drive back home so had to pack up. Got some more salmons and some decent size mullets as well :)

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Post by GusG » Tue May 21, 2019 2:31 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:49 am

That would be a good time to go mate.
It was a last minute decision to go. We picked up a friend and arrived late arvo on Saturday.
Fished that night with the run in tide hoping for a gummy with the full moon but no luck. But we did get a few salmon and a big tailor.
The next morning we fished the high tide again starting from around 10 am through till around 3pm. Would have stayed longer but had to drive back home so had to pack up. Got some more salmons and some decent size mullets as well :)
Nice, was that off the front or in the inlet? I'm assuming off the beach

Return to “Surf Fishing”