hornet wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:48 pm
Brett wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:07 pm
hornet wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:43 am
Brett wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:51 pm
We both used a Busted 45 from Frank at https://www.bustedfishing.com/?store-pa ... -c19434019

Just curious do you use a leader or tie the lure straight to braid ?
I've rigged them with an FG to about 70 to 80cm of mono leader, then a clip to the lure. Leader knot is always kept outside the tip guide when casting.
Thx Brett ... does the breaking strain thickness and length of the lead restrict your cast ?
Length does, especially if the leader knot is past the guides. Thickness/breaking strain, I doubt it would be noticeable. I’m using 20lb Fluro from Kmart 🤪

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Re: First spin session for the season.

Post by April Fool » Thu May 23, 2019 6:55 pm

Brett wrote:
We both used a Busted 45 from Frank...
Have you ever tried the 'line thru' ones Brett? If you have I was wondering if they make any difference in regards to the fish throwing the hooks?
Cheers
Team Bender
Looking forward to the next adventures of Matari the Mauler and Brett the Brutal!

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu May 23, 2019 7:01 pm

April Fool wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:55 pm
Brett wrote:
We both used a Busted 45 from Frank...
Have you ever tried the 'line thru' ones Brett? If you have I was wondering if they make any difference in regards to the fish throwing the hooks?
Cheers
Team Bender
Looking forward to the next adventures of Matari the Mauler and Brett the Brutal!
No I haven’t yet, need to get the scissors out and change to them and see how they go. I’ve got some sitting on the bench waiting.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:16 pm

Well done mate
Nailed a few beauties

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu May 23, 2019 7:53 pm

hornet wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:58 pm
colnick wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:33 pm
What do you salmon fishers do with them? you don't actually eat them surely?
I smoke them and they are delicious ! or I make salmon patties with added herbs and spices ! very nice.
Mate Don does them the same, and he loves them, as I do too (when I get an invite for dinner) , , , , he Cold Smokes them AND Hot Smokes them , , , , and Patties, not sure how he makes those but all his Salmon dishes are nice. But he does tell me (as I don't cook them) that it is all in the bleeding AND the prep.

Don makes a Salmon Mornay , , , , that is my favourite Salmon Dish that Don makes , , , ,

Is Don , , , , Is Good

Cheers, Bugatti

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Thu May 23, 2019 8:48 pm

I don't associate surf fishing in Victoria with shorts and bare feet. I'd to see pics of you doing it next week when its 13 degrees :tongue:

My memories of surf fishing down that way are of waders, thick socks,etc. Caught some great fish down there but conditions were often bleak, unlike the weather we've had recently.

Seriously though some great fish there, it looks like you and Matari had a ball.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu May 23, 2019 10:33 pm

Truedogz wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:48 pm
I don't associate surf fishing in Victoria with shorts and bare feet. I'd to see pics of you doing it next week when its 13 degrees :tongue:

My memories of surf fishing down that way are of waders, thick socks,etc. Caught some great fish down there but conditions were often bleak, unlike the weather we've had recently.

Seriously though some great fish there, it looks like you and Matari had a ball.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
Toughen up. Lol

Shorts only with sandals as optional item when surf spinning. Wearing 3 kg waders walking 2km one way in gunners is a killer.
Sometimes i wear thin polyester rain pants when surf's angry just to avoid having to walk with wet balls. Not good going home with salty eggs. Lol

anguiladave
Has liked: 1 time

Post by anguiladave » Sat May 25, 2019 5:44 pm

My first spin for the season last night also. Also after looking at photos of large salmon from previous years caught at this exact time of year.

Temperature wise I think we have a later ' season' on land but not sure if that corresponds to the ocean.

A first for me- I caught a Tailor. Also an australian salmon.

Moggs creek area Aireys inlet. Evening with a storm coming in. New graphite rod. Swell larger than I thought.

Another first for me was getting electrical shocks thought the bail arm and rod seat just before the storm hit.
Attachments
20190525_145129.jpg
20190524_175452.jpg

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat May 25, 2019 6:11 pm

anguiladave wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:44 pm
My first spin for the season last night also. Also after looking at photos of large salmon from previous years caught at this exact time of year.

Temperature wise I think we have a later ' season' on land but not sure if that corresponds to the ocean.

Moggs creek area Aireys inlet. Evening with a storm coming in. New graphite rod. Swell larger than I thought.

Another first for me was getting electrical shocks thought the bail arm and rod seat just before the storm hit.

Pretty good there, anguiladave :thumbsup:

Nice to read that you did your homework (still trying to get my kids to do theirs) and previous years and photos is a great start.

Nice looking fish too :a_goodjob:

Cheers, Bugatti

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sat May 25, 2019 6:22 pm

anguiladave wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:44 pm

Ha funny getting the shock,s same storm coming in zap,zap were you using braid aswell happened to me a couple of month,s ago

Return to “Surf Fishing”