Eastern View & Easterly's

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Eastern View & Easterly's

Post by JS270 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:48 am

Well after a bit of a layoff from the fishing I decided to head down to the coast and have a fossick around for some Salmon. As is my usual practice I headed down to 13th Beach only to be greeted with a beach loaded with weed and with the high tide scheduled for mid afternoon I wasn't going to hang around and see if it would be clear enough to fish. Plan b was then to drive down the coast and check out the various beaches, but as I was in a lazy mood I decided to head straight down to Easternview, that way if it wasn't any good I could then work my way back home.

(Wet and overcast - should have been good for the Salmon)

The forecast was for a wet Sunday and it this part of the state that's exactly what I got, though it wasn't cold just wet and windy with a reasonable North Westerly .

( The weather was coming in over the mountains and held plenty of rain )

I had decided to fish light today as I was only after the Salmon and so chose to take my Century Tip Tornado Low Diameter Super Match ( 12') and the Century FMJ that I had matched with my Daiwa Exceller 4500 and loaded with Ultima 15 pound braid.

Things started out well with a small Salmon on the very first cast and I had hopes that things would heat up as the tide made. But as all the best laid plans go, mother nature decided that things needed to be made tougher for me.

( The two Century's that I hoped would get me a few salmon and have a bit of fun )

( As the tide made the seas flattened so decided that one rod was all that was needed )
It was interesting though fishing the two outfits side by side and the rate of fish hooked to landed was in favour of the mono , I will have to do a few more test to see if the trend continues ?

I took a reasonable sized Salmon out wide and as the tide pushed in things were looking up , that is until the wind swung around to the East and shut the bite down as well as flattening the sea right down. There were a few other fisho's on the beach with a number wondering down the beach with their spinning outfits but they also didn't get much whilst I was watching.

( As the Easterly came up the seas went down )

The tide was forecast to be quite a high one and this proved to be the case, with it pushing right up to the dunes , making it necessary to lift my gear up on the fence to avoid it getting washed in.

( Low swell pushing right up the beach)

( A high tide and easterly made for difficult fishing - the group further down the beach however did get a few whilst I was watching )

Even though I only ended up with a few small to medium sized Salmon it was still great to get out and relax. Hopefully next time out I can get a few more fish and the weather gods will be a bit kinder with any other wind than the Easterly.

Still fun though :mrgreen:

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Eastern View & Easterly's

Post by Brett » Mon May 23, 2011 9:06 am

I've seen flat seas before, but that is ridiculous, would have been good just to sit there and relax :water:

keep_itsimple

Post by keep_itsimple » Mon May 23, 2011 11:37 am

We went to gunnamatta yesterday and got 14 just kept 8 between 4 of us all on metal lures

JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Post by JS270 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:53 pm

Brett ,

That's what i did , just enjoyed the day , I will be back out there again next weekend to see if Ican get a few more fish. I may just take the spionning gear and wonder along the beach that will give me both excerise and a higher potential about finding the fish as they move along the beach.

Roll on next weekend :super:

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon May 23, 2011 2:02 pm

I can't wait to be able to go the beach and just watch the waves for a while, am so over moving house :Blah: Hopefuly I can hit Gunna in the next 2 weeks for a few hours.

Return to “Surf Fishing”