Drag Settings.

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
surfspin

Drag Settings.

Post by surfspin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:40 pm

Looking at spinning the surf for Sambos with 30-40gm slugs, on 3kg mono, just for fun! I've always used a 3 to 1 theory on drag settings, ie, 2kg drag for 6kg line, etc, so I'll be using 1kg of drag, or is that theory outdated? Thanks.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Drag Settings.

Post by frozenpod » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:50 pm

Still very true today.

Depending on the knots used typically well tied knots have approximately 60-70% strenght of the line braking strain.

Some knots are better than others.

1/3 gives a buffer and also helps with drag increases as the spool diameter reduces.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Drag Settings.

Post by CarlG » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:23 pm

surfspin wrote:Looking at spinning the surf for Sambos with 30-40gm slugs, on 3kg mono, just for fun! I've always used a 3 to 1 theory on drag settings, ie, 2kg drag for 6kg line, etc, so I'll be using 1kg of drag, or is that theory outdated? Thanks.
3Kg mono might be a bit light. I go 5kg braid and thats considered by some to be light...drag wise, I never use scales to set it, just a fairly light drag is what floats my boat. Mr Salmon isnt going to reef you, his fave trick is coming up with the wash, then turning side on in the backsurge...if your up to tight, pop, he`s gone...just use the drag to wear him down..
3:1 is still the fairly universal rule I think..

Return to “Surf Fishing”