Soft plastics in the surf?

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
RIX83

Soft plastics in the surf?

Post by RIX83 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:25 pm

Hey all,

I was just wondering has anyone used soft plastics in the surf? and what did you use? i.e Jig Weight,hook size and plastic

Cheers!

keep_itsimple

Re: Soft plastics in the surf?

Post by keep_itsimple » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:44 pm

it would only work on a extremely flat day with 1 ounce jig heads, ive tried a could times and u cant get the same distance as a metal

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:50 pm

You're going to need a big jighead. Either that or you could make some sort of paternoster rig with one baited hook and a SP on the other hook. The current may cause the SP to move around and get some action. This might work on salmon.
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

crazycod

Post by crazycod » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:09 pm

TrevKing wrote:You're going to need a big jighead. Either that or you could make some sort of paternoster rig with one baited hook and a SP on the other hook. The current may cause the SP to move around and get some action. This might work on salmon.
Wow :o. That's a really good idea. I'm gonna try that in spring or summer when it is warmer :super:.

ROACHY

Post by ROACHY » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:48 pm

I often use em in the surf with good results. If im bait fishing with berley , while im wating for a bite il cast 3inch gulp minnows in close to where the burley is. This normaly produces smaller salmon which i use for bait. I also use 5inch jerkshads on one of the hooks on a patternoster rig or by themselves on a jig head with as good a result as bait sometimes. Hope this helps.

crazycod

Post by crazycod » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:03 pm

Sounds good. I'll try it soon ;)

davidk

Post by davidk » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:38 am

:stirthepot: Yes I have used soft plastics 3" pumpkin Berkley minnows off Flinders point rocks and caught short finned pike up to 1m and trevally and a few salmon in length
great fun. In the surf i just increase jig head weight and use 6" plastics Talk to local tackle shop guys for more detail

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:19 pm

keep_itsimple wrote:it would only work on a extremely flat day with 1 ounce jig heads, ive tried a could times and u cant get the same distance as a metal
The issue here is wind resistance, the larger the profile of the lure even though it might be the same weight will significantly impact on casting distance.

Return to “Surf Fishing”