TTLDSM Casting Off the Ground (OTG)

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
JS270
Has liked: 1 time

TTLDSM Casting Off the Ground (OTG)

Post by JS270 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:23 am

Well I decided to do a friend a favour and do some video footage of the TTLD SM with the fixed spool (Threadline) and casting 125 gram leads.

As the weather was forecast to be reasonable I decided to take a lazy drive down to Frankston and see if there were any Salmon where about as well as to do the casting on the beach as this is where my mate wanted to see the way the rod and specifically the tip loaded .

As it is normal for him to fish with very thin mainline (0.16mm) and smaller baits he was wanting to make sure that the tip is gentle enough to protect the baits but still have the power in the mid section and butt to pick the lead cleanly from the sand and send it out a good distance as their beaches are reasonably shallow and longer casts are needed to get to the productive gutters etc depending on the tide.

As you will see in the video clip the tide was slowly coming in and the flat nature of the beach made it easy to cast with no particular issues. I was doing a simple fishing OTG with the weight around at 9.00 o’clock and tacking it easy as I am not the best with the threadline and wanted to get my release timing sorted out as I will be using this and a few other outfits when I am fishing with my daughter in the coming weeks.

Here is the video footage hope it give a clear image of what the rod is capable of, reel was the Daiwa Emblem Pro loaded with 0.28mm line. Ig I was using thinner line and a tapered shock leader I know that the distances would have been better and release smoother as well.

http://youtu.be/ulbIIWNaePQ

Just as a matter of interest I have obtained some tapered mainline from Japan which is 200 meters with the last 20 meters tapering to a thicker shock leader built in. I will be playing around with these over the coming months and report back .

Regards :D

Return to “Surf Fishing”