An evening at Gunna

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
Brett
Has liked: 138 times

An evening at Gunna

Post by Brett » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:11 pm

Woke up yesterday with the urge to fish :grin: checked the forecast, to find that gunnamatta, was looking good for an evening fish. Having not had much luck at gunna before I was a little hesitant to say the least.
By 2pm it had gotten the better of me and I sms'd the boys, wolly unfortunately had to work night duty :sad: but the pom was all keen.
Left my place about 5:30 so we could attempt to read the beach in daylight. When we got there the carpark was all but empty(5 cars in total). We made our way out to the landing of the walkway and had a bit of a look, spotted 3 fishable gutters, with the closest one being our first(and in the end only) option.

Tossed a couple of small baits out hoping to snag some fresh bait, with nothing but crabs eventuating. So we opted to set up some big baits and lob them out also as it was about 8pm now.
Still lotsa crabs annoying us, then the pommys big bait starting doing some weird funky dance thingy(well the tip of his fishing rod did anyway) so he goes ahead and picks it up and says "it's a fish, it's not a crab and it's going f'n nuts" within seconds it was about 100yds up the beach and still travelling lol, he made a heap of line back and I saw what looked to be a splash from a skates tail.
"Damn it's a skate, just bring it in bugga ya" I said
He made more line and I saw the sinker and leader break the surface, then I saw a 4.5 to 5ft long 7 giller swimming beside me, bahahaha I sh!t and tried to think of what to do, seeing our gaff has a handle of 1.5ft and there is a gutter 1 step into the wash, I wasn't keen to get wet.
I managed to grab the line and with the next wave tried to drag the fish up enough to get a shot at grabbing or gaffing this thing, when "ping" it bites through the 50lb mono and washes back to deep water with the receeding wash :cry: I was gutted and didn't expect the pom to be very happy either.
Put this one down to experience, and being undergunned for things with teeth.

Anyway the evening went on slowly, with lots of bites, nibbles and annoyance from crabs, and I was starting to lose hope for testing my new outfits on a decent fish.
When one of my rods started loading up, I picked it up and thought feels more like a fish than a crab, then the line went slack and I was devastated, franticly winding in slack line and then the weight appeared again and I got my smile back. Landed a nice little 4kg gummy.
Baits back on and all 4 rods out, we sat waiting, hoping the pom would get onto a nice gummy also. Almost at the same time we had a reasonable bite and it was no gummy(or it was a freekin big one) I watched as 50 to 80m of line was peeled from my reel, and said to the pom its a good fish, by this time he'd managed to land a small port jackson.
This fight went on a little longer and I almost had fish to the beach, with pom ready to try and gaff it, I thought we had a good chance, I looked up the light hit the water and heres the tail half of a giller slapping around and at that moment "ping" bitten off, now I know how the pommy felt :angry: He said it was bigger than his, but I reckon they were the same size.

In the end, it was an awesome night at the beach and one of the best nights I have had in a long time.
Pretty sure the pom feels the same way and can't wait to get out and try again.

Sorry about the lack of pics, only had the phone camera's and wasn't keen on getting em out in the rain and sticky sand, hopefully next time wee'l manage some.

vinhii

Re: An evening at Gunna

Post by vinhii » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:48 pm

Sweet report brett!! but where was my damn invite hahaha jokes damn soundes like mad fun! was a bloody good read i got ur txt and jus had to pull over and rip out my phone to read ur post haha
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:51 pm

Glad you went out & had a great time :thumbsup:

Brett

Post by Brett » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:47 am

Went back lastnight as the the pom is heading off over christmas and was a little pissed he lost the one the other night, this time we went slightly prepared lol.

Our catch for the night was, 3 gummies, 2 skates, a stingray and the giller :-)

Beno

Post by Beno » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:13 am

Nice work guys :thumbsup:
My Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/BenosFishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; How to - Garfish/Float Rig
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/BenosFis ... 213?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:49 pm

Very well done! would have been an exciting night...
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:52 pm

Now there is nothing worse than going fishing with a bloke, who hooks all the fish. So thought I'd sneak down by myself and I still draw a :snap: :wall: :dontknow blank.

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:55 pm

Hahahaha wolly badluck mate LOL!!!!

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:55 pm

oh and i know what you mean!! lol he always catches everything! :P

Brett

Post by Brett » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:16 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:Now there is nothing worse than going fishing with a bloke, who hooks all the fish. So thought I'd sneak down by myself and I still draw a :snap: :wall: :dontknow blank.

If you'r back already, then that's half the reason you got nothing, the other half is the weather.

Return to “Surf Fishing”