scallop fishery

News and info about the Fishing Victoria site.
sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Re: scallop fishery

Post by sandef » Thu May 07, 2015 6:08 pm

update the above article is miss leading the proposal from fisheries is to increase the catch to 108 tons
and catch method is to be by hand and not in recreational fishing areas

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri May 08, 2015 7:17 am

I had a bit of a research too. It appears that the original proposer of the scallop diving fisheries did not win the licence in the tender proposals. He is now lobbing for a second licence for hand collection. The increase on amount harvested is in the first scallop management proposal. Like most other fisheries it has a clause that says if there is abundant stock then the amount taken can be increased by fisheries management.
So as usual when you see a "sign here petition", it is wise to take a deeper look before you sign. That petition would go straight to the garbage bin when presented as it does not state the facts. It is a straight out lie saying that a fleet of vessels is proposed. It also lies by presenting a picture of scallop dredging from another country and trying to pretend there is a proposal on the books to reintroduce it. These people do no good at all for real environmentally concerned causes.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri May 08, 2015 7:22 am

One last thing. As a recreational diver with a fishing licence, you can dive and collect 100 scallops per day in Port Phillip Bay. As most people would prefer to buy their scallops it is not unreasonable to have a small number of commercial divers collecting them and you paying them. Then you can go out for dinner and order scallops caught in local waters without getting cold and wet and risking shark attack.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

brybry

Post by brybry » Fri May 08, 2015 10:26 am

I think this'll just be the thin edge of the wedge. A little concession here and a little concession there and before too long we are back to the bad old days.

I don't think anybody is going without Scallops at the moment so really whats the need?

Just don't do it!

Especially when there are other/better options.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri May 08, 2015 12:55 pm

brybry wrote:I think this'll just be the thin edge of the wedge. A little concession here and a little concession there and before too long we are back to the bad old days.

I don't think anybody is going without Scallops at the moment so really whats the need?

Just don't do it!

Especially when there are other/better options.
That's it. Just because there is the potential for someone to make fat stacks of cash doesn't mean they necessarily have to be allowed to. They try and put dollar values on the health of the bay and fish stocks, but really having a good body of water where people can chill out with the family and catch a few fish is beneficial enough to society that we shouldn't have to compare with dollar values.

If people want their scallops bad enough they're welcome to catch some themselves. I have the same argument for people whinging about the cost of seafood, instead of buying flathead for $50/kg, get a rod and catch them yourself.

Hopefully this is just a beat up as others have suggested though.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri May 08, 2015 1:55 pm

I've said this for years, PPB and WP should not be commercially harvested, Australia is surrounded by fish rich waters that can be sustainably harvested, our twin bays should be reserved for recreational only activities, they are not as big as you may think.. the dollar value is worth more from recreational fishers than the handful of active commercial users at present.

This argument is as old as I am I remember the same issues 40 years ago being discussed ...
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri May 08, 2015 4:34 pm

[youtube]bDMy88RqsDY[/youtube]

I am sure you will all love this documentary then. It is 120 minutes so don't use you phone.

yes we are surrounded by fish rich waters that can be and are being harvested sustainably.
Scallop dredging the Bay will never happen again. Stop worrying about it.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Fri May 08, 2015 4:52 pm

re-tyred wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDMy88Rq ... brweRcjjAA
I am sure you will all love this documentary then. It is 120 minutes so don't use you phone.

yes we are surrounded by fish rich waters that can be and are being harvested sustainably.

:a_goodjob: :thumbsup:

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri May 08, 2015 5:03 pm

re-tyred wrote:[youtube]bDMy88RqsDY[/youtube]

I like this guy.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun May 17, 2015 9:37 am

http://wefishaustralia.blogspot.com.au/ ... t.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Announcements”