IT'S TIME TO END COMMERCIAL NETTING OF FISH IN THE GIPPSLAND LAKES

News and info about the Fishing Victoria site.
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: IT'S TIME TO END COMMERCIAL NETTING OF FISH IN THE GIPPSLAND LAKES

Post by 4liters » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:03 pm

rb85 wrote:
Truedogz wrote:The biggest single factor in the decline of the fish populations in the lakes is the construction of the permanent opening to the sea at Lakes Entrance in 1889. A detailed study published in 1945 concluded that this caused a 95% decline in bream catches - which has never recovered:

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/64172154

In terms of bream the impact of the professionals on the lakes today is minor and the fishery appears sustainable. There have been concerns raised in the past on the netting of estuary perch/bass leading up to spawning. Provided the perch are adequately protected I don't have a problem with a small commercial fishery continuing.

As others have pointed out if we get rid of the commercial fishermen altogether where are we going to get out seafood from. I don't think bream are a viable aquaculture proposition as their growth is too slow. The alternative is importing more seafood, further harming our balance of payments and growing debt.

If you really wanted to improve the lakes fishery start a petition to get rid of the permanent entrance!
Best Wishes

Truedogz
The offshore and game fishing community will riot if they returned the lakes to their natural state.
So they're the real villains here?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:18 pm

4liters wrote:
rb85 wrote:
Truedogz wrote:The biggest single factor in the decline of the fish populations in the lakes is the construction of the permanent opening to the sea at Lakes Entrance in 1889. A detailed study published in 1945 concluded that this caused a 95% decline in bream catches - which has never recovered:

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/64172154

In terms of bream the impact of the professionals on the lakes today is minor and the fishery appears sustainable. There have been concerns raised in the past on the netting of estuary perch/bass leading up to spawning. Provided the perch are adequately protected I don't have a problem with a small commercial fishery continuing.

As others have pointed out if we get rid of the commercial fishermen altogether where are we going to get out seafood from. I don't think bream are a viable aquaculture proposition as their growth is too slow. The alternative is importing more seafood, further harming our balance of payments and growing debt.

If you really wanted to improve the lakes fishery start a petition to get rid of the permanent entrance!
Best Wishes

Truedogz
The offshore and game fishing community will riot if they returned the lakes to their natural state.
So they're the real villains here?
No body is the Villain theres no witch hunt except for commercial fisherman.

jasew3

Post by jasew3 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:17 pm

Evening All
Not sure if u all noticed but the person who started the comments is actually a new member and first post ..hmm something fishy here as I think they are just stirring the pot and trying to get a bite.. Anyway good luck all fishing over the summer and hopefully I can manage a flatty or 2 while im down at lakes over xmas..
cheer Jase..(p.s. if anyone is free while im down there to reverse the boat down the ramp plz come over and ask as im more than happy to have help..lol)

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:37 pm

re-tyred wrote:The total catch of the last few fishers is 283 tonnes per annum, down from it's peak in the 1980 of over 1000 tonnes. Of the 283 tonnes just 33 tonne were bream, down from a peak of over 400 tonne. There are just 11 commercial operators left due to buy outs and retirements.
To be quite honest it will make no difference what so ever if the remaining commercials are removed. The shags eat many times more and the recreational fishers catch many times more.
If you want to get rid of the last 11 please feel free to put you hand in your pockets and buy their licences. Their right to fish commercially ( access licence) is not transferable so when they retire they are not replaced. It will not change what you catch. If you want to catch more learn how to catch them and put your efforts into improving the environment of the lakes.
Key issues are.
Too many housing developments along the shoreline.
Destruction of the intertidal zone by the construction of retaining walls and back filling mostly for housing and foreshore development.
Dirty grubs dumping their rubbish in the catchment.
Swans and shags cause a huge amount of damage due to their uncontrolled breading.
Before Europeans invaded this country the locals would have feasted each year on swan and shag eggs and eaten many young swans. Now they just breed till the sky is black with them.
I get very tired of listening to the commercial fishing bashing. Why should the only people who can have a feed of Australian fish be recreational fishers. If your grandmother wants a feed of Bream she should be able to go to the market and buy some.
+1

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:40 pm

jasew3 wrote:Evening All
Not sure if u all noticed but the person who started the comments is actually a new member and first post ..hmm something fishy here as I think they are just stirring the pot and trying to get a bite.. Anyway good luck all fishing over the summer and hopefully I can manage a flatty or 2 while im down at lakes over xmas..
cheer Jase..(p.s. if anyone is free while im down there to reverse the boat down the ramp plz come over and ask as im more than happy to have help..lol)
Correct and they should be banned and the thread removed!!

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:43 pm

Yes I had noticed that. As I was going to delete the post. But figured it may be worth talking about and some good opinions may be aired.

I've removed the link to the petition though.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:06 pm

You can't just take the netting off the pros it's there job. What if I were to say to you that you no longer have a job because someone else doesn't like what you do?
Yes fair enough if someone wants to buy them out by all means. But I don't quite agree with netting bream inside. They are a slow growing fish. Obviously the pros are adding to their declining numbers but they aren't the only issue. And let's face it there are many other options that are much better on the table.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:47 am

Hosery wrote:You can't just take the netting off the pros it's there job. What if I were to say to you that you no longer have a job because someone else doesn't like what you do?
Yes fair enough if someone wants to buy them out by all means. But I don't quite agree with netting bream inside. They are a slow growing fish. Obviously the pros are adding to their declining numbers but they aren't the only issue. And let's face it there are many other options that are much better on the table.
Isnt the government buying there licence back slowly?

Would a optuon be
Are they able to move to qhere the fiahing is more productive on a larger scale or do the license specify
From type and location?

Or have portable licencing so i only so much can be taken in a year then they cant fish that area for 2 or 3 years to allow substantial repopluation.
Probably put a big strain on familys tho

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:51 am

Brett wrote:

Yes I had noticed that. As I was going to delete the post. But figured it may be worth talking about and some good opinions may be aired.

Is there a way to limit the content free beginners can post?
Like only add pics and text (no web likes, or petitions or additional things) till they hit 30 post or something to stop these and other 1 hit post.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:02 am

smile0784 wrote:
Brett wrote:

Is there a way to limit the content free beginners can post?
Like only add pics and text (no web likes, or petitions or additional things) till they hit 30 post or something to stop these and other 1 hit post.
Why not just have a post limit per day for all members? Aim to encourage a bit more quality over quantity.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Announcements”