IT'S TIME TO END COMMERCIAL NETTING OF FISH IN THE GIPPSLAND LAKES

News and info about the Fishing Victoria site.
smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: IT'S TIME TO END COMMERCIAL NETTING OF FISH IN THE GIPPSLAND LAKES

Post by smile0784 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:28 am

4liters wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
Brett wrote:
jasew3 wrote:Evening All
Not sure if u all noticed but the person who started the comments is actually a new member and first post ..hmm something fishy here as I think they are just stirring the pot and trying to get a bite.. Anyway good luck all fishing over the summer and hopefully I can manage a flatty or 2 while im down at lakes over xmas..
cheer Jase..(p.s. if anyone is free while im down there to reverse the boat down the ramp plz come over and ask as im more than happy to have help..lol)

Yes I had noticed that. As I was going to delete the post. But figured it may be worth talking about and some good opinions may be aired.

I've removed the link to the petition though.

Is there a way to limit the content free beginners can post?
Like only add pics and text (no web likes, or petitions or additional things) till they hit 30 post or something to stop these and other 1 hit post.
Why not just have a post limit per day for all members? Aim to encourage a bit more quality over quantity.
That then could limit. The congrats and good catch replys for fishing report cos people want to enter ito a.healthy discussion on other topics

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:53 am

I guess we'll just have to rely on people having the good sense not to jump in and sign random petitions waved around by strangers on the internet then
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:10 am

To answer a few points put forward.
No the fishers can't fish anywhere else. Their licence is for the Gippsland Lakes only. To fish somewhere else they would have to buy a licence to fish another area from someone else.
The man made entrance.. I have read that report before, it fails to mention that when Europeans first moved here there were no restrictions on catching and selling fish. It is reported that some 400 people fished in the lakes and sold their catches in the early days. The fishing soon collapsed due to over fishing and the people moved on to other jobs.
If you did allow the Entrance to close it would end in an economic and environmental disaster. The economic part would be due to the fact that councils have allowed the selling and building on of land that was once part of the flood plain when the entrance was closed. This includes a significant portion of, Lakes Entrance, Metung, Paynesville, Loch Sport to mention just a few, plus a huge area of farm land. The other part is if the system was returned to a less salty system then the carp that Europeans introduced would rapidly spread through out the system.
Lastly with a closed lake system during drought and the high nutrient levels caused by farming in the catchment, it would produce a deadly algae outbreak, killing most life in the lake. You cannot undo the last 200 years of change, you can make sure the future improves the environment with good practices by those that live near and operate on the system.
One of the main things missing now is significant sand flats that flood at high tide. These are the breading areas for sand worm and soldier crabs. These could easily be rebuild by using dredge spoil to renourish beaches around the islands in the lake.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:49 am

4liters wrote:I guess we'll just have to rely on people having the good sense not to jump in and sign random petitions waved around by strangers on the internet then
Be good if members were rated based on the quality of their posts as opposed to quantity...Re-Tyred would certainly have a 5 star rating.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:11 am

re-tyred wrote: The man made entrance.. I have read that report before, it fails to mention that when Europeans first moved here there were no restrictions on catching and selling fish. It is reported that some 400 people fished in the lakes and sold their catches in the early days. The fishing soon collapsed due to over fishing and the people moved on to other jobs.
If you did allow the Entrance to close it would end in an economic and environmental disaster. The economic part would be due to the fact that councils have allowed the selling and building on of land that was once part of the flood plain when the entrance was closed. This includes a significant portion of, Lakes Entrance, Metung, Paynesville, Loch Sport to mention just a few, plus a huge area of farm land. The other part is if the system was returned to a less salty system then the carp that Europeans introduced would rapidly spread through out the system.
Lastly with a closed lake system during drought and the high nutrient levels caused by farming in the catchment, it would produce a deadly algae outbreak, killing most life in the lake. You cannot undo the last 200 years of change, you can make sure the future improves the environment with good practices by those that live near and operate on the system.
One of the main things missing now is significant sand flats that flood at high tide. These are the breading areas for sand worm and soldier crabs. These could easily be rebuild by using dredge spoil to renourish beaches around the islands in the lake.

Cant turn back the clock.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:46 am

Mattblack wrote:
4liters wrote:I guess we'll just have to rely on people having the good sense not to jump in and sign random petitions waved around by strangers on the internet then
Be good if members were rated based on the quality of their posts as opposed to quantity...Re-Tyred would certainly have a 5 star rating.
Matt Black so U putting Ur hand up for countless volunteer hours to rate each member.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:45 am

For whatever reason the topic was put up, is irrelevant
The posts by knowledgeable members are awesome
I love well structured, intelligent, informative posts, mine aren't
This thread has produced some of those.
There will always be stupid, funny & useless posts. There good too
Cheers Gra

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:46 am

bowl wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
Matt Black so U putting Ur hand up for countless volunteer hours to rate each member.
Welcome to 2017...there are numerous plug-in's for websites so users can rate each others posts. If you then add a filter, you could potentially block out people with low ratings (like me!)
Attachments
Google-switches-to-5-star-rating-system-orange1.jpg
Google-switches-to-5-star-rating-system-orange1.jpg (9.89 KiB) Viewed 1026 times

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Texas wrote:For whatever reason the topic was put up, is irrelevant
The posts by knowledgeable members are awesome
I love well structured, intelligent, informative posts, mine aren't
This thread has produced some of those.
There will always be stupid, funny & useless posts. There good too
Cheers Gra
The guy trying to tell jeremy schrader how to surf cast was a beauty :rofl:

adamk

Post by adamk » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:44 pm

4liters wrote:
rb85 wrote:Whats the alternative to supply seafood to the public? Do we want Tassal Style salmon farms all over Tassie.

http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/pm ... ns/9203416
Just import more Vietnamese sewerage fish: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basa_fish
Half the 'flake' sold in the state is probably that sh*t anyway
Sunnyseafood an simplot

Return to “Announcements”