new from springvale

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: new from springvale

Post by DougieK » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:00 am

kaotay wrote:Kmart reels look ok but I haven't used them. IMO, wouldn't trust it with a big (>5kg) fish unless your fish-playing skills are top notch. Highly recommend the Shimano Sienna - should be able to get them for less than $50 when sales are on. They are also easy to self-maintain so will save $$$ in the long run.

PS welcome !

I've got the sportsfisher 5500 baitrunner thingy (can't remember what it's called) with 20lb Hercules mono on it, because one of my other reels exploded and I don't have the money to replace it with a baitrunner. Every time, Every single f ing time I put 3 large baits out, the one big thing i'll catch for the day takes this sucker. It goes ok, it's not smooth and I wouldn't trust it over a long fight not to just melt, but I landed a decent eagle on it the other night.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:30 am

DougieK wrote:
kaotay wrote:Kmart reels look ok but I haven't used them. IMO, wouldn't trust it with a big (>5kg) fish unless your fish-playing skills are top notch. Highly recommend the Shimano Sienna - should be able to get them for less than $50 when sales are on. They are also easy to self-maintain so will save $$$ in the long run.

PS welcome !

I've got the sportsfisher 5500 baitrunner thingy (can't remember what it's called) with 20lb Hercules mono on it, because one of my other reels exploded and I don't have the money to replace it with a baitrunner. Every time, Every single f ing time I put 3 large baits out, the one big thing i'll catch for the day takes this sucker. It goes ok, it's not smooth and I wouldn't trust it over a long fight not to just melt, but I landed a decent eagle on it the other night.
Thanks Dougie, good to know....I have been tempted to try the exact model you have, if it handles an eagle ray, I just might give it a go.

And lol, the big boys will always go for your lowest end gear! Just for laughs I am determined to put out 1 rig with all budget parts - kmart rod, aldi braid, this reel might complete the picture.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:53 pm

fshtim wrote:hey all I haven't been fishing for over 20 years and need some advice.
I have a very limited budget as am unemployed and am wondering what people think about rod and reel sets from Kmart, also wondering what I can fish for from sandringham breakwater. I am planning my first trip to be there hopefully this weekend.
thanks for any help in advance I fell like a newbie all over again.

Tim
How can I put this, perhaps the majority of fish are caught by anglers using gear bought from K-mart or Big W. Even the budget gear if look after will last a long time.

It really isn't the cost of gear that determines how many fish are caught, it is that little piece of metal attached to the end of your line that determines success or failure.

The other big determining factor is learning the rhythm of where you fish, knowing what species will be available at what time and how to catch those species.

fshtim

Post by fshtim » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:30 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
fshtim wrote:hey all I haven't been fishing for over 20 years and need some advice.
I have a very limited budget as am unemployed and am wondering what people think about rod and reel sets from Kmart, also wondering what I can fish for from sandringham breakwater. I am planning my first trip to be there hopefully this weekend.
thanks for any help in advance I fell like a newbie all over again.

Tim
How can I put this, perhaps the majority of fish are caught by anglers using gear bought from K-mart or Big W. Even the budget gear if look after will last a long time.

It really isn't the cost of gear that determines how many fish are caught, it is that little piece of metal attached to the end of your line that determines success or failure.

The other big determining factor is learning the rhythm of where you fish, knowing what species will be available at what time and how to catch those species.
thanks that is very helpful :a_goodjob:
I have sussed out a couple of rods thinking of getting I surf and 1 6-8 foot spinning rod all up should cost about $80. 1 from kmart and the other from bcf, then just need tackle and licence thinking to cost about $70 for basic set ups then add more as I can. thanks again to all of you for your advice and help :-D :woohoo:
P.B. flathead 43 cm, whiting 30 cm, snapper 40 cm,

Fishing Victoria Species Comp 16/17 Total: 40 cm
salt: 40 cm
fresh:

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:55 pm

kaotay wrote:+1 for Kmart rods, I use the Sports Fisher 9ft GP rods in blue. Only $10 and will cover bait fishing off piers, breakwalls and rocks.
+2.. I have one also. For the price it goes ok. Have used it at Sandy and Martha rocks landing a few fish with it...
:welcome2: to the site :welcome2: and good luck.. :cheers:

SparkyUK

Post by SparkyUK » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:30 pm

Hiya and welcome to the FV

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:39 pm

As time rolls on,and you get into fishing,catch a few fish,loose a fish,you will get into the better gear.Iv caught 5 kg snapper on cheep setups,and and lost 2 kg salmon on medium priced gear.Its what keeps you going,and the adrenalin rush.Good move mate,getting into fishing,im sure you will love it,just don't give up if you don't catch fish on your first outing,help is always here.

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:32 pm

:welcome: Tim.

One the key things to remember with rod n reel is to clean them & lubricate after being by salt water.
I had a Jarvis Walker 12 Ft rod combo I bought last year. The eyelets & bail arm started rusting after 9-10 months. They wouldn't refund so I kicked up a fuss & they exchanged.
So I've got the same combo about 10 months now (plus zero winter fishing) & the bail arm won't flip over after you cast Bangg and I've been keeping everything clean (no rust this time).
So yeah if you can't afford expensive (I'm not there either yet) try get the best your money can buy.
Generally I'm not a Jarvis Walker fan :down: , but maybe they have good high quality gear???
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

fshtim

Post by fshtim » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:53 pm

was actually thinking this for surf rod http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/prod ... mendations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
P.B. flathead 43 cm, whiting 30 cm, snapper 40 cm,

Fishing Victoria Species Comp 16/17 Total: 40 cm
salt: 40 cm
fresh:

GVfish

Post by GVfish » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:35 pm

Welcome to the forum, I am a tight ass and use inexpensive gear, still have fun and catch fish. :a_goodjob:
It's not always about catching a fish,
sometimes it's about getting out and
saving your sanity.

Return to “Introductions”