Spin for ya all....Wye River Xmas - New Year 2013 - 14

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
Ecka

Spin for ya all....Wye River Xmas - New Year 2013 - 14

Post by Ecka » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:48 pm

Not sure if I'm hitting the right buttons here!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome ...much appreciated..

Here's a quick spin for ya all....
Spent the Christmas break 2013 - 14 down at Wye River mainly fishing off the rocks down from the main Telstra Tower just up past the rubberty scrub (pub). Found that when we burlied hard early on the 45cm plus salmon were on the go after about 25 - 30 minutes. Hooked & kept a few, Son #1 lost a few beauties spinning on rocks edge directly opposite with the Wilson 10 footer. Got them close to the edge no problems but he didn't have a net or gaff & no matter what he tried just couldn't get them out of the water...lesson learnt!!
There's a few snags in close but once your out 50 yards plus all okay.

This was our fourth year going down there & apart from a beautiful summer holiday area it's a great fishing spot especially opposite the Big4 Holiday Caravan Park.. Always caught fish at high tide either off the beach day or night & off the rocks. The beach at dawn or dusk is very productive spinning or bait fishing. Smaller the baits.. better catch rate!!

Only downer this year @44 degrees heatwave were the damn midges or sand fleas I think they were - had a meal & a half on us all!!! 3 - 5 weeks to finally rid ourselves of them little critters..Always learning something about the sand & surf & this was a first encounter..

When we called into the pharmacy in Lorne they had already sold out of the antiseptic ointment for the bites...so.... all along the coast that hot few days the sand fleas won ---outright!!!!

Ecka

Dr.Shinasi

Re: Spin for ya all....Wye River Xmas - New Year 2013 - 14

Post by Dr.Shinasi » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:33 am

That's awesome!
My band plays at the Big4 there most weekends over the summer, and I always make the drive to lorne pier for a fish with little success. I've never bothered to try down by the telstra tower...If I had of known that would of saved me many a trips from wye to lorne for nothin!
If you are there again this summer when the cover band is playing at the park (or the pub), come say hello and maybe go for a fish!
Regards,
Samy

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:11 am

If you're already down that far have a crack at Johanna beach one day. In my opinion one of the best surf fishing options west of Melbourne.

There are a dozen different rock ledges in the area that can produce, I think the most relevant is called "artillery rocks" (but airpower wins the day har har har).

Great bit of the world to fish if you can beat the crowds.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Ecka

Post by Ecka » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:30 pm

Dougie K...just what I wanted to here thanks maaaaate!!!!
Johanna it is.... I reckon winter would produce a pretty spectacular surf & be damn cold down there but hey we'll give it a go...A weekend trip for sure.
Any particular type of rig for the conditions? extra Oz on the sinker??
Direct ocean surf isn't it? Worth sticking with Mono ? I use braid all the time now with a mono leader but find if the winds up at you it's a pain.

Cheers,

Ecka

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:08 pm

DougieK wrote:If you're already down that far have a crack at Johanna beach one day. In my opinion one of the best surf fishing options west of Melbourne.

There are a dozen different rock ledges in the area that can produce, I think the most relevant is called "artillery rocks" (but airpower wins the day har har har).

Johanna is an awesome place, here's one of the smaller salmon I've caught there the last trip, the scenery is breath taking, there's cliffs / mountains in the back ground... just outta sight.

ImageImageImageImage
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Ecka

Post by Ecka » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:12 pm

hornet wrote:
DougieK wrote:If you're already down that far have a crack at Johanna beach one day. In my opinion one of the best surf fishing options west of Melbourne.

Johanna is an awesome place, here's one of the smaller salmon I've caught there the last trip, the scenery is breath taking, there's cliffs / mountains in the back ground... just outta sight.

ImageImageImageImage
Whoa ....Awesome looking spot!!! Great Pics... Yeh..I could see myself looking across the horizon thinking...glad I joined this Forum..Honestly I'll give it a crack very soon...

Return to “Introductions”