NEW Fisherman from Sydney.....

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
yamadorikid

NEW Fisherman from Sydney.....

Post by yamadorikid » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:30 am

Hi Fisho's.......

I will be relocating to Melbourne to set up life and i am an avid fisherman.

In sydney i mainly do rock fishing around north and south Sydney at places as Avoca in Gosford and down Wollongong at Hill 60 and Bass point.

I am unaware of how the fishing is in Melbourne but i was wondering if anyone can help point me within 1-2 hours drive for some rock ledges for fishing.

Melbourne seems to have alot or Piers which do ok, but i like to get away from other people, as do most fishos...hehehe

Mainly after the pelagic fishes as in Salmon, Tailor, Bonito and if lucky Kings.....

Thanks in advance peoples...!!! :thumbsup:

bilby

Re: NEW Fisherman from Sydney.....

Post by bilby » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:39 am

Welcome to Melbourne, yamadorikid! Melbourne may be a challenge to adapt to fishing-wise after Sydney, but with the right local knowledge and techniques, you should do well. (Fortunately the food / coffee scene here is very easy to adapt to!). There isn't a lot of tailor and bonito fishing to be done off the rocks close to Melbourne, but salmon are definitely an option here, with the chance of decent snapper in season. The rock ledges around Mt. Martha in Port Phillip Bay are a good place to start. There is also some very good mulloway fishing in the metro areas, as well as southern bream and the usual estuary species (although again, luderick are hard to come by locally). If you know where to look, Victoria has great estuary perch fishing, however, which I understand are not so available in Sydney. Personally, for salmon, tailor and luderick, I always head to East Gippsland, which is worth a go if you ever get the chance. Closer to home, if you are after a spot with fewer people, perhaps around Phillip Island or Kilcunda might be a good bet for rock fishing? Others may be able to point you to more specific locations - rock fishing is pretty dangerous in many parts of the state, however, so always best to fish with a friend and keep a super close eye on the water / wave conditions. Good luck with your fishing in Melbourne!

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:54 am

If you are experienced in rock fishing there are plenty of options in Victoria, on the eastern side of melbourne, places like Red point in cape woolamai, Punchbowl rocks, cape schanck are some good rock platforms although they are extremely dangerous like most rock platforms.
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:55 am

There are also plenty of platforms on the great ocean road from anglesea all the way to the SA border.

yamadorikid

Post by yamadorikid » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:17 am

Thanks for the tips guys...

i will deffinately do more research on those locations.....

Yes rock fishing is very dangerous and i wont have my mates with me here like back in sydney.... so i will need to make sure where im fishing is extra safe here in Victoria if i do venture onto the rocks....

I might need to re-strategize on the targeted species in Victoria then...maybe target more Calamari, Bream and Snapper instead of the pelagics..

thanks once again guys and cannot wait to wet a line once i get down there....

rogs
Has liked: 1 time

Post by rogs » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:50 am

:welcome: to Melbourne and be safe

Cheers

rogs

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:21 pm

Sure you will be fine