Time Poor

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
Time Poor

Time Poor

Post by Time Poor » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:29 pm

:wave2: Hi everyone,

I guess my username describes most here?

I'm new to Melbourne, but not new to our favourite pastime. I have 30 years fly fishing experience, mainly from the UK but also US. Like most of us I started out catching toddlers with my hands in streams.

I haven't found any closeby trout locations near me so I have decided to give SPs a go. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also as I live in inner Melb, I'd like to fish for bream in the Yarra, so any stretches that you think might produce results for a tyro would be appreciated. I fully understand people guarding their favourite spots, hence my request for stretches.

Looking forward to sharing tips, advice with anyone who wants them. I'd love to hear from any tyro fly fishers who'd like to receive my acquired knowledge, Afterall, if I don't pass it on it'll be lost.

:wave2:

Tight lines.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.

Fish-Hunter

Re: Time Poor

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:03 pm

:welcome: to the site , fish around the docklands area for Bream is popular . :)

Time Poor

Post by Time Poor » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:57 pm

Thanks Mike,

Are there any feeding patterns preferred by bream? Do they prefer an incoming or out going tide, slack water any particular lunar cycle, etc?

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:05 pm

Time Poor wrote:Thanks Mike,

Are there any feeding patterns preferred by bream? Do they prefer an incoming or out going tide, slack water any particular lunar cycle, etc?
In the Yarra / Maribyrnong rivers & Docklands as long as there is tide movement seems to get the Bream biting , but my biggest Bream come from the top of the tide . 2 days either side of moon peaks is good also . ;)

Time Poor

Post by Time Poor » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:55 pm

Thanks Mike.

fishsticks

Post by fishsticks » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:41 pm

welcome mate. in docklands try parking under the Bolte Bridge. there is some structure in the water there and the bream often hang around that or the wall that your casting from. Majority of my bream come on chicken breast bait (not thigh, for some reason i have no luck with thigh). But i have seen salmon caught on berkley gulp worms, camo colour. and i have also taken a nice 30cm pinkie there on the worms aswell. if the structure doesnt provide bites drop your bait or lure down right in front of the wall and twitch and jig it, the bites will come in no time. if your looking at the bolte bridge when down there fish on your right hand side, the left hand side is full of mullet and snags and it becomes quite frustrating having pickers run your sinker into gaps in the rocks.

hope that helps mate
In every species of fish I’ve angled for, it is the ones that have got away that thrill me the most, the ones that keep fresh in my memory. So I say it is good to lose fish. If we didn’t, much of the thrill of angling would be gone. –Ray Bergman

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Time Poor wrote: Like most of us I started out catching toddlers with my hands in streams.

sorry, I havent caught one yet in any waters. Where were you catching the baby mermen and mermaids? :o :o :dontknow
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:41 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
Time Poor wrote: Like most of us I started out catching toddlers with my hands in streams.

sorry, I havent caught one yet in any waters. Where were you catching the baby mermen and mermaids? :o :o :dontknow

F=C or is it MC=4 squares/ :whoh: :shocker:

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:03 pm

Welcome to the site!
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Time Poor

Post by Time Poor » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:18 pm

Thanks all, nice fish Jim, superb tail. And as for the typo, well spotted. A big thanks to fishsticks.

Return to “Introductions”