Plenty River Fishing

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
AJW2016

Plenty River Fishing

Post by AJW2016 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:59 pm

Hey there, im new to this site, even though it's probably been asked a dozen times or so, what is Plenty River fishing like? I do alot of hiking and exploring around plenty gorge generally for photography , i was behind carome Homestead the other day around where the waterfall was and the big pool nearby looked like a decent fishing spot, i havnt been fishing properly in about 5 years or so and ive just moved to Mernda recently but ive always wondered what the Plenty River was like fish wise, i know there would be alot of carp but it would enjoyable enough for me, any help would be appreciated, Cheers

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Plenty River Fishing

Post by laneends » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:23 am

Yep there are carp in the various sections around there not much else, maybe eels.

Jay375

Post by Jay375 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:24 am

Like you said definitely carp in their, and I have heard reports of the odd trout up that way, but haven't fished it myself

tommyfishunter

Post by tommyfishunter » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:00 am

That pool below the waterfall gets fished pretty heavily, but i have caught carp and redfin (small) out of it. There are some small trout around upstream of the waterfall if you are lucky.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:41 am

Jay375 wrote:Like you said definitely carp in their, and I have heard reports of the odd trout up that way, but haven't fished it myself
Have heard of that happening at some stage in the past, but I wouldn't put much hope in a resident population. Problem is that the plenty hardly sources itself as a fresh mountain stream as per other typical trout streams.

AJW2016

Post by AJW2016 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:23 am

Thanks for the replies guys, im flexible as where to fish got no problem driving somewhere but ive always just wondered what the plenty river might of been like, i was at blue lake yesterday and the plenty river near there is pretty wide in some parts with a good clean body of water

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:59 pm

There is some really nice water around Carome homestead but it is mainly carp & eels in there. There used to be reddies & trout in there but further upstream around yan yean. There are quite a few spots to fish around Mernda that hold fish not just the plenty river.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Return to “Introductions”