Hello and seeking boat advice!

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Hello and seeking boat advice!

Post by scott__henning » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:21 pm

Pdiddy24 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:That's cool mate just throwing out some options. If hull reliability and ride is a big factor to you then definitely spend your money on the stronger hull. It makes sense.

As for the electric anchor, after having owned one I'll never go back to a manual anchor. Can't put a price on a healthy back long term imo. But each to their own.

As for your motor, Yamaha or Suzuki 4 banger.... hands down. Whatever is more local to you for ease of service. You will not regret it.

From memory when I was looking around, Yamaha = lightest in the class, Suzuki = most economical. I'm bias but I say get a Suzuki if both dealerships are in similar locations... runs off the smell of an oily rag and looks much sharper too!!! (That red on black)
FWIW the suzuki 90 is just a re-mapped 70 (same engine capacity I'm lead to believe) so I went with the 70 and if I ever desired more power I would just tune it (I never will). I think a 70 on any alloy boat that size would be suffice but a 90 wouldn't hurt either lol
Just saw your section on the motor advice. I will look at both of those. I think the basic package is pushing either Honda 60hp and Yamaha 60hp from the dealership. The Suzukis do look sick and that is good to know about the capacity for them too. I'd be flat out hanging on with a 90! haha. I fish mostly solo and wouldn't be heading out in cyclones so will be looking at the 60-70s. I know nothing about outboard motors but from what I've read and pub talk with mates, Suzukis and Yamaha seem to have better reputations than the Hondas. Inverloch marine would be my closest which I think is a Yamaha dealership and service centre.
Go max horsepower for the hull, the boat will perform at its best and you will be more economical, in addition the motor will never work a hard day in its life that way.

I’d go a yammy, but I’m also bias haha. Inverloch marine are great on the service side. Not cheap, but thorough

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:34 pm

An anchor winch will be a godsend for the type of fishing you want to do.

Anyone I've met who has a winch says they would never go without one again.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:27 am

I've got a Stabicaft 1650 Fisher, it's a little tank... it's not the most attractive boat and the dings seem to suit it (so I beat the crap out of it). I looked at all the Aussie pressed boats (Stacer, Quinny, etc) and although they're good, the Kiwi boats are in a different league. I chose a Stabicraft for the buoyancy/safety in the end (& Honda because of the long warranty).
Only regrets were not getting the dealer to fit an anchor winch, got one fitted later...they shouldn't even be offered as an option, it should be mandatory!
Honestly cant fault it, everything on it is well thought out & good quality. I've taken it off-shore a couple of times and I felt fairly confident. Really easy to launch solo and it handles the chop better the Bruce Lee.
Be prepared to spend a lot on options.... 7" (min) gps combo, anchor winch & max horse power are essential.
I would have got the 1850, but it would have taken up too much room in the garage (I guess you always want something bigger)
I was impressed with the build quality of Mclay Sportsman at last years boat show as well (a guy on here bought one & did a good post on it).
Enjoy the buying process (all your questions will be found searching this website)

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:51 am

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=18431&hilit=Mclay
I'd go Surtees or stability ,over Quinny or savage any day of the week
Also Formosa boats http://www.formosamarineboats.com.au/cl ... e-console/

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:00 am

My dad owns a steesco hustler...nice boat http://www.stessco.com.au/catalogue/cen ... 2?vmcchk=1

Pdiddy24
Has liked: 49 times

Post by Pdiddy24 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:04 am

scott__henning wrote:
Pdiddy24 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:That's cool mate just throwing out some options. If hull reliability and ride is a big factor to you then definitely spend your money on the stronger hull. It makes sense.

As for the electric anchor, after having owned one I'll never go back to a manual anchor. Can't put a price on a healthy back long term imo. But each to their own.

As for your motor, Yamaha or Suzuki 4 banger.... hands down. Whatever is more local to you for ease of service. You will not regret it.

From memory when I was looking around, Yamaha = lightest in the class, Suzuki = most economical. I'm bias but I say get a Suzuki if both dealerships are in similar locations... runs off the smell of an oily rag and looks much sharper too!!! (That red on black)
FWIW the suzuki 90 is just a re-mapped 70 (same engine capacity I'm lead to believe) so I went with the 70 and if I ever desired more power I would just tune it (I never will). I think a 70 on any alloy boat that size would be suffice but a 90 wouldn't hurt either lol
Just saw your section on the motor advice. I will look at both of those. I think the basic package is pushing either Honda 60hp and Yamaha 60hp from the dealership. The Suzukis do look sick and that is good to know about the capacity for them too. I'd be flat out hanging on with a 90! haha. I fish mostly solo and wouldn't be heading out in cyclones so will be looking at the 60-70s. I know nothing about outboard motors but from what I've read and pub talk with mates, Suzukis and Yamaha seem to have better reputations than the Hondas. Inverloch marine would be my closest which I think is a Yamaha dealership and service centre.
Go max horsepower for the hull, the boat will perform at its best and you will be more economical, in addition the motor will never work a hard day in its life that way.

I’d go a yammy, but I’m also bias haha. Inverloch marine are great on the service side. Not cheap, but thorough
Ok sweet. I remember a mate also telling me that about maxing out the hp for the hull as you shouldn't ever need to flog the guts out the motor. Cost will come into though and I think Surtees are rated to 75hp. My initial thoughts were the Yamaha 4stroke 70hp but will have a look into the Suzukis too and see a cost comparison.

Pdiddy24

Post by Pdiddy24 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:17 am

Mattblack wrote:I've got a Stabicaft 1650 Fisher, it's a little tank... it's not the most attractive boat and the dings seem to suit it (so I beat the crap out of it). I looked at all the Aussie pressed boats (Stacer, Quinny, etc) and although they're good, the Kiwi boats are in a different league. I chose a Stabicraft for the buoyancy/safety in the end (& Honda because of the long warranty).
Only regrets were not getting the dealer to fit an anchor winch, got one fitted later...they shouldn't even be offered as an option, it should be mandatory!
Honestly cant fault it, everything on it is well thought out & good quality. I've taken it off-shore a couple of times and I felt fairly confident. Really easy to launch solo and it handles the chop better the Bruce Lee.
Be prepared to spend a lot on options.... 7" (min) gps combo, anchor winch & max horse power are essential.
I would have got the 1850, but it would have taken up too much room in the garage (I guess you always want something bigger)
I was impressed with the build quality of Mclay Sportsman at last years boat show as well (a guy on here bought one & did a good post on it).
Enjoy the buying process (all your questions will be found searching this website)
Thanks mate. The Stabi really impressed me when I did a walk around the boatyard and could have really seen myself in one of those. Need to give it more thought. You're not wrong about the extras adding up. The basic package looks resonably priced but as you say you start adding the stuff you really need and it does add up quite quickly but will get some quotes for both of them and focus on getting set up. I did see that topic thread on the Mclays boat build. Looks so nice but I don't think they have a model under 5m.. and the price was too much for my budget with the 521. Do you know if your winch and install was cheaper than what the dealer was offering as a package option?

Pdiddy24

Post by Pdiddy24 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:21 am

yepi'mon wrote:An anchor winch will be a godsend for the type of fishing you want to do.

Anyone I've met who has a winch says they would never go without one again.
haha ok great. My mum who comes out from time to time has been more impressed with the anchor winch and the rear step ladder than anything else!

Pdiddy24

Post by Pdiddy24 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:25 am

bowl wrote:viewtopic.php?f=70&t=18431&hilit=Mclay
I'd go Surtees or stability ,over Quinny or savage any day of the week
Also Formosa boats http://www.formosamarineboats.com.au/cl ... e-console/
Cheers mate. I haven't heard of those. I am after a half cab style design and have had a quick look through the website and they don't appear to have anything under the 5m with a cuddy.. They look bloody nice and solid hulls with 4mm all over

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:40 am

Pdiddy24 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:I've got a Stabicaft 1650 Fisher, it's a little tank... it's not the most attractive boat and the dings seem to suit it (so I beat the crap out of it). I looked at all the Aussie pressed boats (Stacer, Quinny, etc) and although they're good, the Kiwi boats are in a different league. I chose a Stabicraft for the buoyancy/safety in the end (& Honda because of the long warranty).
Thanks mate. The Stabi really impressed me when I did a walk around the boatyard and could have really seen myself in one of those. Need to give it more thought. You're not wrong about the extras adding up. The basic package looks resonably priced but as you say you start adding the stuff you really need and it does add up quite quickly but will get some quotes for both of them and focus on getting set up. I did see that topic thread on the Mclays boat build. Looks so nice but I don't think they have a model under 5m.. and the price was too much for my budget with the 521. Do you know if your winch and install was cheaper than what the dealer was offering as a package option?
It depends on your dealer, but it should be cheaper (and easier) getting all your options during the build stage (unless you want to shop around for sales and fit it yourself) I know everyone needs to make a dollar, but most dealers genuinely want to help you out. Just research the options before you go to a show room so you know what brands you like...I ended up getting a Lone Star winch based on opinions from this forum. How much space have you got in your garage?

Return to “Introductions”