First time, long time

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
mattt

First time, long time

Post by mattt » Thu May 10, 2018 1:02 pm

Hey guys
Been on the page for quite some time but never actually used the forum actively.
Anyway I only just in the past 6-8 months really been able to find the time to get out on the water, through work/life balance and a new missus that actually allows me to do things :notworthy:
I’ve only ever really fished fresh water Murray/gulbourn but having bought a 3.7m tinny late last year I’m looking to get out and explore what the bay has to offer. Me and the missus went out off werribee a couple of weeks ago for a couple of hours and managed to land 2 banjos. I know coming into winter it can get a bit wild and slow going out there but the more time on the water I get the better.
So was hoping a few words to get me started and headed in the right direction would go astray.
Cheers :cheers:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: First time, long time

Post by Lightningx » Thu May 10, 2018 1:21 pm

:welcome: to the forum mate.
Sounds like life’s a bit better for you now with some more fishing time :thumbsup:
My missus and I really enjoy time on the water as well and last weekend did well with the pinkies. They are still around or at this time of year chasing the big schools of sambos can be awesome fun as well! :P

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu May 10, 2018 1:38 pm

The fishing in Western Port & Port Phillip bay at the moment is great. I’ve Been having success on some ripper Gummies, aswell as good days on Squid and as Lightning said, the decent size Salmon that pop up busting at this time of year. Also some great Whiting starting to kick on again and Autumn Snapper but they are a bit harder at this time of year.
I’m a Western Port man, but recently with my boat out of action I’ve been sneaking on other boats with some mates in Port Phillip. For a beginner I’d recommend chasing Squid, it’s easy and enjoyable. Do some research online.. plenty of info. Mornington, Black Rock, Mordialloc, Warneet Quail Bank, Tyabb Bank, Sorrento, Portsea are all doing extremely well. Taste great on the plate and probably the best all round fresh bait you can use for Whiting, Flathead, Snapper, Gummies and so on.

It’s as Simple as drifting over the correct bottom (reef/weed beds) and letting your jig sink so it’s just above the bottom but not touching it.. giving it a few jigs and let it sink... repeat. As long as the jig is moving in the strike zone you shouldn’t have much trouble, no real secret to catching squid. Every technique works. As for depth it doesn’t really matter as long as the bottom is good ground. 1.5 - 3m , 3 - 6m, 6 - 9m.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu May 10, 2018 1:45 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:The fishing in Western Port & Port Phillip bay at the moment is great. I’ve Been having success on some ripper Gummies, aswell as good days on Squid and as Lightning said, the decent size Salmon that pop up busting at this time of year. Also some great Whiting starting to kick on again and Autumn Snapper but they are a bit harder at this time of year.
I’m a Western Port man, but recently with my boat out of action I’ve been sneaking on other boats with some mates in Port Phillip. For a beginner I’d recommend chasing Squid, it’s easy and enjoyable. Do some research online.. plenty of info. Mornington, Black Rock, Mordialloc, Sorrento, Portsea are all doing extremely well. Taste great on the plate and probably the best all round fresh bait you can use for Whiting, Flathead, Snapper, Gummies and so on.

It’s as Simple as drifting over the correct bottom (reef/weed beds) and letting your jig sink so it’s just above the bottom but not touching it.. giving it a few jigs and let it sink... repeat. As long as the jig is moving in the strike zone you shouldn’t have much trouble, no real secret to catching squid. Every technique works. As for depth it doesn’t really matter as long as the bottom is good ground. 1.5 - 3m , 3 - 6m, 6 - 9m.
I didn't know you wernt meant to let the squid jig touch the bottom....why's that?

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu May 10, 2018 2:04 pm

Mattblack wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:The fishing in Western Port & Port Phillip bay at the moment is great. I’ve Been having success on some ripper Gummies, aswell as good days on Squid and as Lightning said, the decent size Salmon that pop up busting at this time of year. Also some great Whiting starting to kick on again and Autumn Snapper but they are a bit harder at this time of year.
I’m a Western Port man, but recently with my boat out of action I’ve been sneaking on other boats with some mates in Port Phillip. For a beginner I’d recommend chasing Squid, it’s easy and enjoyable. Do some research online.. plenty of info. Mornington, Black Rock, Mordialloc, Sorrento, Portsea are all doing extremely well. Taste great on the plate and probably the best all round fresh bait you can use for Whiting, Flathead, Snapper, Gummies and so on.

I didn't know you wernt meant to let the squid jig touch the bottom....why's that?

I dont like getting weed stuck on my jig or my jig stuck in the weed m8

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu May 10, 2018 2:07 pm

GET IT AS CLOSE TO THE BOTTOM AS POSSIBLE

but thats easier said than done most times. get it to the bottom and most times you will get weed or get it snagged, dont get it as far to the bottom and you might miss out on the prime strike zones.

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu May 10, 2018 2:10 pm

purple5ive wrote:GET IT AS CLOSE TO THE BOTTOM AS POSSIBLE

but thats easier said than done most times. get it to the bottom and most times you will get weed or get it snagged, dont get it as far to the bottom and you might miss out on the prime strike zones.

Really just about understanding the jigs sink rate in the depth of water you're fishing

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu May 10, 2018 2:33 pm

As close to the bottom as possible.
And yea forgot to mention plenty of squid around :thumbsup:

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu May 10, 2018 2:47 pm

That's ok then! I usually cast, wait until it hit the bottom, couple of jerks, wait until it hit the bottom, etc, etc...I usually get strikes as its drifting to the bottom.
Been a great year for squid, and really looking forward to spinning for some salmon (both good in a small tinny because you don't have to go too far out & don't need electronics to find them)

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:41 pm

Mattblack wrote:That's ok then! I usually cast, wait until it hit the bottom, couple of jerks, wait until it hit the bottom, etc, etc...I usually get strikes as its drifting to the bottom.
Been a great year for squid, and really looking forward to spinning for some salmon (both good in a small tinny because you don't have to go too far out & don't need electronics to find them)

Yeah 9/10 ten the squid will hit the jig as it’s sinking, you’ll see the line pulled right very quick or when you go to jig it you’ll hook up (Looks like a wounded fish).

That’s it mate. Perfect for smaller crafts and beginners. Drifting for flathead is another one not mentioned. Simple, easy stuff.

Return to “Introductions”