Introduction

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
PJ72

Introduction

Post by PJ72 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:50 pm

Hi all,
Just thought I would introduce myself. Been a long time lurker, and thought it was time to join the forum.
Usually fish PPB though I some times I go out in Western Port. Haven't had much time to fish lately but my time to be able to fish will start to increase in a couple of months :banana:
My boat that has been lacking some serious attention is a Signature 600F (though I still seem to find something to fix!)
I started fishing PPB and WP about 16 years ago with a mate, and bought my first boat 11years ago (73 Savage Tasman with a 65hp Johnston) I had to stop fishing for a while due to a back injury and not being able to put the boat in the water, needed a drive on trailer and an anchor winch, thus the 600F, yes, it was a hard step up :rofl:
I am a qualified mechanic, and have played with all types and forms of engines/machines since I was a teenager
Thanks,
PJ

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Introduction

Post by Boonanza » Thu May 24, 2018 9:03 pm

Welcome to the forum PJ :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu May 24, 2018 9:06 pm

:welcome2: to the forum mate :banana: :)

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:09 pm

Welcome mate!

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu May 24, 2018 9:20 pm

Hey PJ...I'm interested in a unbiased mechanics opinion...who makes the best outboard?

PJ72

Post by PJ72 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:54 pm

Thanks for all the welcome messages guys!
Hi Matt, how to ease into a forum without pissing other members off cause I slagged off their brand of outboard, way to win friends :(
I think from what I have found is that manufacturers have a model that is really good and another model that is not as good, and I am not trying to sit on the fence. I have a mate that had a 90hp Suzuki, it was really good, though another friend had a 140 and it was nothing but problems, though, a friend of the family has a 140, and it has been great for him.
I think that a lot of it comes down to personal preference and luck, some people will tell you their 'brand' motor on their boat is a piece of crap, where another person that goes through the same problems with same brand will call it maintenance.
With cars, we usually say they are all pieces of Sh!+, they just have different badges, meaning they all have problems.
I have a Yamaha F150 on my boat, that is supposed to have problems with balance shafts, no problems yet, but I know about it, so try to keep an eye on it. I have spoken to people and they have told me they all blowup and to get rid of it, others have told me they are great, as with everything, fore warned is fore armed.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri May 25, 2018 1:52 am

Welcome
Look forward to your reports

LINwAd

Post by LINwAd » Fri May 25, 2018 7:25 am

Nice to meet you mate, welcome to the forum.
LandFishTV creator - https://www.youtube.com/landfishtv/ Enjoy! :water:

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri May 25, 2018 8:06 am

PJ72 wrote:Thanks for all the welcome messages guys!
Hi Matt, how to ease into a forum without pissing other members off cause I slagged off their brand of outboard, way to win friends :(
I think from what I have found is that manufacturers have a model that is really good and another model that is not as good, and I am not trying to sit on the fence. I have a mate that had a 90hp Suzuki, it was really good, though another friend had a 140 and it was nothing but problems, though, a friend of the family has a 140, and it has been great for him.
I think that a lot of it comes down to personal preference and luck, some people will tell you their 'brand' motor on their boat is a piece of crap, where another person that goes through the same problems with same brand will call it maintenance.
With cars, we usually say they are all pieces of Sh!+, they just have different badges, meaning they all have problems.
I have a Yamaha F150 on my boat, that is supposed to have problems with balance shafts, no problems yet, but I know about it, so try to keep an eye on it. I have spoken to people and they have told me they all blowup and to get rid of it, others have told me they are great, as with everything, fore warned is fore armed.
Cheers PJ...fair call, all outboards seem to be on par these days. I remember in the 70's & 80's when Chrysler's were seen as the anchors of the outboard world, people agued over Johnson/Evinrude/Merc like they used to with Ford and Holden and Yamaha was seen as something exotic from the land of the rising sun.
Welcome aboard, great to have another profession resource in the forum (you'll get hammered with mechanical questions now)

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri May 25, 2018 4:33 pm

Gday and welcome to the forum, good luck with your fishing, :thumbsup: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Return to “Introductions”