Newbie.

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
Al03

Newbie.

Post by Al03 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Hi everyone. Am getting back into fishing after a long hiatus. Am madly restringing reels and blowing dust and cobwebs of my gear. Went out the other day down to the Ocean Rd and realised what I had been missing out on. Got a few Mullet and small salmon. Got to start somewhere I guess. Noticed the Parrot fish are still prolific. I also hunt and enjoy the challenge of trying to outwit those pesky deer. In some ways I find hunting and fishing similar in that you look for the correct habitat and with a bit of luck your quarry will be there. Looking forward to getting some tips from the experienced people here, seems strange but I am champing at the bit to get back into fishing. Mrs is not impressed! She calls it an addiction that she thought I had kicked long ago.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Newbie.

Post by BIG GAV » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Welcome to the site mate! Lots of good info on here for pretty much any area/ species in vic and abroad!

If u like to track deer perhaps u may get into trout streams too?

Enjoy

Gav

Al03

Post by Al03 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:02 pm

Gav,
Many a time have been looking for deer sign near a stream and have seen trout. It's a bit hard to cast with a rifle! One of the spots I frequent I am going to bring a collapsible rod in my back pack for that exact scenario. Funny thing is, if you aint spooking the trout, you are generally not spooking the deer.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:03 pm

Welcome aboard!
cheers
Jim

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:35 pm

:welcome: to the forum mate :)

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:57 pm

:cheers:

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:02 pm

Welcome mate! Lol, does the cheese & kisses understand how much healthier the fishing addiction is compared to most others? It could always be worse...
Fishing is actually a style of hunting, just that you're chasing fins as opposed to furs! Was the Great Ocean Rd trip just a drive, or do you happen to live in that general area? Plenty of deer nearby is why I ask ;) Are you a diehard Sambar hunter, or do you chase the reds and fallow, hoggies or chital? We're pretty lucky here in Vic, there are pockets of all worthy deer species somewhere in this State. They're good fun.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:10 pm

Welcome mate

Kaspar

Post by Kaspar » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:13 pm

Welcome chief

Al03

Post by Al03 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi Redhunter, funny thing is the Mrs doesn't mind when I go hunting. Especially when you bring home some venison. It's not about bringing home meat, it's all about pitting your wits against the deer and doing so ethically. I can stalk for hours, not see a thing and thoroughly enjoy myself at the same time. You need to become part of the forest yourself to succeed. I love the challenge. Live in Central Vic so about 2 hours from the Coast. As for species of deer, have a soft spot for the mighty Sambar, the ghosts of the forest.

Return to “Introductions”