New Frankston Member

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
Rels
Has liked: 2 times

New Frankston Member

Post by Rels » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:31 am

Hi all,

I have been reading posts here for a while and thought I’d join. As a youngster my father was a keen fisherman, we used to do trips to the south coast NSW beach and rock fishing and head out in PPB in snapper season. I have great memories of big gummies, boneto, kingfish and of course snapper. My father passed away about 12 years ago and left me his boat. I did a few trips out into PPB and managed a few snapper but realized having a young family on one income I couldn’t afford the upkeep of the boat and reluctantly sold it about 7 years ago. I had not fished for a long time before I got the boat, and once I sold it I didn’t fish again for a long time.

Fast forward to two years ago, on a family holiday near Narooma right on a surf beach, as I walked along the beach I came across a school of large salmon in the surf just like when I was a child with my father. I knew there was a river system there and had taken a 7” whiting rod with a 2500 size reel along on holiday. The local shop had some cheap metal lures, so I bought a few and chased these salmon the next day. The largest lure I could cast on that rod was 40g, I was worried I would snap it. Needless to say that session I had was amazing, every cast would be a hookup, and if the treble pulled on the first fish I would get another hit before the lure made it back to shore. That was the start of an amazing week.

I didn’t fish again for a year, when we went back to the same place for another holiday at Easter this year. This time I was prepared with a 9” spin rod and a 4500 reel. The salmon school was no where to be seen, but after half hour of throwing lures into various gutters I found what must have been a small school of Tailor. Once again I could not miss, just about every cast was a hit. After a while I was hooking fish and giving my rod to my 8yo daughter which was quite a laugh. Over the week I would go for short 45 minute sessions and there was only one session I came back empty handed. Needless to say I am once again hooked on fishing.

So now I am back home in Frankston, and I have made a silly decision that I WILL land a Mulloway land based. I work a rotating shift, so whenever I am on afternoon shift I am getting 2-3 sessions in (weather permitting). Night fishing works for me as the family is sleeping, and I get about 2 hours in a session. I know people have caught these fish at this location, and lucky I’m obsessive because so many sessions of doughnuts over the last two months is a little sole destroying. Haha! I still haven’t used live baits, the majority of fishing has been done with SP paddle tails. Now it may not happen this year, but I will land one eventually. Also Christmas and Easter holidays now will be involving catching Tailor and Salmon, and using them as big fillet baits in the surf.

Well that was super long winded, if you made it this far, kudus!

- Rels

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: New Frankston Member

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:45 am

welcome mate!!!
the memories you have with your dad is the best feeling ever. i remember mine very well too.
all the best with the jewies, they are not the easiest fish to catch, but perseverance should see you onto them sooner rather than later.

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Post by GusG » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:47 am

Welcome buddy, great intro! Good luck with the hunt/obsession for the jewie

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:00 am

Welcome to the forum mate, good luck on your quest for a jewie! :thumbsup:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:01 am

:welcome: to the forum mate :P

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:29 am

Welcome to the forum and good luck with you fishing, :thumbsup: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Rels
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Rels » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:06 pm

Cheers,
The other night after two hours of catching nothing I dropped by Frankston pier (about 12.30am). There were about 25 blokes catching garfish. So the next night feeling frustrated putting in so many hours for nothing I thought I would catch some gars and get some confidence back. Once again, 25 blokes shoulder to shoulder and floats within 30cm of earth other. A few people would burly every now and then and garfish everywhere in the water. Nope I think they must have fed the fish too much because in 2 hours I saw about 8 fish landed. I caught one garfish, not exactly what I had in mind when going out the door, but at least I got the monkey off my back for the following sessions of doughnuts. Hopefully the rain holds off and the tides are right next week to pay some more dues towards that elusive Mulloway.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:34 pm

Good luck with the Jewie mate.
I hate when the piers packed like that. Often too much agro for my liking!

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:16 pm

Welcome to the party mate

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:48 pm

Welcome!

A lot of people read but only few contribute. Any reports tips etc will definitely be much appreciated by many.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Introductions”