Hi all!

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
fortula999
Has liked: 21 times

Hi all!

Post by fortula999 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi guys,

I've recently moved from Hong Kong to here, and I'm 16 years old. I've been into fishing my whole life, but in Hong Kong the pier fishing is limited to fish the size of your palm, using handlines and tiny hooks so it's way different here. I'm based in the Bayside area, so the piers I'll frequent are brighton, mordialloc, black rock.

I want to start with soft plastics, so I've already picked up a Shimano sienna 2500, and Shimano catana with 8lb braid and 10lb fluorocarbon leader, as well as a pack of zman slim swimz and 1/8th Oz jig heads, as well as a few squid jigs and hardbodies

I will post reports if I ever catch anything, but I'm really struggling lol. I've been out a few sessions, and have gotten bites but no fish :( if anyone has any tips that would be great!

Thanks

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Hi all!

Post by Lightningx » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:15 pm

Hi mate and welcome to the forum!
Plenty of good fishing from those piers you mentioned both with plastics and bait fishing :)
You had bites but no fish? What size hooks are you using with those jig heads?
Cheers :tu:

fortula999
Has liked: 21 times

Post by fortula999 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:22 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:15 pm
Hi mate and welcome to the forum!
Plenty of good fishing from those piers you mentioned both with plastics and bait fishing :)
You had bites but no fish? What size hooks are you using with those jig heads?
Cheers :tu:
I used 1/0L hooks

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:07 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Good setup you got there, perfect timing too. Water is warming up and people are starting to catch.
Focus on sunrise sunset and tide change, you should catch something. :tu:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:49 pm

Welcome also what im about to say is from a queenslanders point of fishing but something i think works everywhere

Get a second rod and reel combo and if your fishing activly on plastics throw the second out with a strip of squid on it and let it be light on drag, i do it when im throwing about squid jigs up here or one of my smaller plastics because nothing is biting yet and ive caught fish doing it.

Now when i mention squid strips alot of folks here are gonna get a little upset because they love their calamari rings but what i do is take the head and guts out of my squid split it so you have the hood as one big flap and i cut strips out of it normaly i can get 4 to 5 strips per hood and with a strip i will thread it onto the hook with just a little bit left to flap about so it looks like a bit of worm or something.

this is the way i like to do it on a long shank.

and well it produces results when the picker fish aint about.

Image grassy sweetlips i got.

Return to “Introductions”