New to fishing

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
SparkyUK

Re: New to fishing

Post by SparkyUK » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:13 pm

One the home page here is a link to willyweather. That will cover tides, wind, moon phases everything just about. Its your best friend. Get into a takle shop and get yourself a copy of the landbased fishing guide to port phillip bay. If you watch the forums you can see when people are catching in a good area for you and the guide can tell you where to fish in the area. generally fish 2hrs before a high tide and 2 hrs after. still no promise of fish, but giving yourself a better chance.

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:23 pm

SparkyUK wrote:Using the tides, wind, moon phases etc just gives a better chance thats all. certain fish at certain times of the year etc still the same. Fishing is a gamble, sometimes you win and catch, sometimes you just get donuts, water licked etc (caught nothing). At one spot you can catch nothing one night, then bag out the next.

We all suffer from the addiction of fishing the number of times you get a donut compared with the number of time you get a good fish. people just post the good times and rarely the bad. This may appear that there is some almighty secret spot. But the truth dont sound half as good. For me there is a lot more bad times than good, but i love being outside so my view is catching is a bonus to being outside.

Your playing a game of chance, we try to edge things in our favour where possible. There is only 1 sure thing i can promise you

If your not out fishing, you wont catch fish
Couldn't agree with you more there Sparky :thumbsup:

FV is the rehab for all fishing addicts (including myself) but also a great place to learn more about your addiction. Take everything into consideration - Tidal, Moonphases, Water clarity and No Banana - when deciding when and where to fish. It won't guarantee you a fish but it will increase your chance of getting one. Still many times I have gone out even with the knowledge that conditions are no good at all - a donut session is still better than no session at all!!

Good Luck :)

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:31 pm

Johnno1224 wrote:you couldnt be more right.. i just guess i dont have the experience to understand the tides and the moon phase... not many people will actually show me how to do it correctly

A few years ago, I went fishing off the end of Frankston pier, and just managed to be in the right place at the right time, it was in the afternoon, don't know what the moon was doing, or the tide for that matter,

I had heaps of fun catching and releasing pinkies, most were undersized, and kept one legal one. I had two rods and only wound up using one, because as the bait hit the water, they would bite it.

I must of fished this pier at least a hundred times, other times I have been there when a school of salmon have been there, or garfish.

SparkyUK

Post by SparkyUK » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:53 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Johnno1224 wrote:you couldnt be more right.. i just guess i dont have the experience to understand the tides and the moon phase... not many people will actually show me how to do it correctly

A few years ago, I went fishing off the end of Frankston pier, and just managed to be in the right place at the right time, it was in the afternoon, don't know what the moon was doing, or the tide for that matter,

I had heaps of fun catching and releasing pinkies, most were undersized, and kept one legal one. I had two rods and only wound up using one, because as the bait hit the water, they would bite it.

I must of fished this pier at least a hundred times, other times I have been there when a school of salmon have been there, or garfish.

Never a saying more true "right place right time", :good:

Johnno1224

Post by Johnno1224 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:55 pm

i wouldnt doubt it.. but that extra skill of knowing where to cast and what gear makes a big difference too.

SparkyUK

Post by SparkyUK » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:23 pm

I have never seen a fish care if i use a $200 shimano or a $40 kmart jarvis walker (and i still use the jarvis walker), I will bow to my peers here if they know different. For bait i mostly use pilchards bought from the tackleshop. The end tackle i use is one rod setup in a paternoster rig (2 hooks then the weight at the bottom) and 1 with a sliding rig (1 hook and the weight slides along). Thats about it for bait fishing.

Johnno1224

Post by Johnno1224 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:23 am

i used the same sorta rig..

im thinking of going tomorrow i got a RDO (YES!!!!)
where would you guys recommend?

jacob.s

Post by jacob.s » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:37 pm

Johnno1224 wrote:With a better attitude?
he is prob referring to "unfortunately i dont have a boat which SUCKS"

Return to “Introductions”