Adelaide angler moving to Melbourne

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
squidfacekillah

Adelaide angler moving to Melbourne

Post by squidfacekillah » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:26 pm

Hey everybody!
I'm an Adelaide guy moving to Melbourne to study for a couple of years and I've been getting back in to fishing in the past couple of years, especially in the last 8 or so months.. I like all kinds of fishing, hitting up jetties or rivers or going out on boats.. I'm pretty keen to get out fishing as much as my studies and working will allow me but due to a lack of time, I'm not too keen on trying to find my own spots so any and all help and guidance is greatly appreciated!
Lately I've been fishing for whatever bites in the Torrens River (the one that runs through the city in Adelaide) and I've been getting a few carp, had a few peel off the reel like crazy but ended up getting away.. I'm really liking the idea of catching fish right in or next to the city, so I'm keen as to hit up the Yarra and see what's about..

anyone had any luck in the yarra or any waterways around the city??

thanks everyone!
-Dom

Fish-Hunter

Re: Adelaide angler moving to Melbourne

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:48 pm

Welcome to the site , since you are going to be new to melbourne & want to fish the Yarra river . start @ Newport hotwater outlet , here is a good starting point & the rest you will pick up with some of your own recon , good luck & enjoy the fishing .

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:56 am

Welcome to the site! Can't help you with any locations though as I am country based.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:04 pm

welcome to Mexico. If you want excellent fishing I suggest you go back to SA as soon as you finish your studies. Adelaide fishing, I bet is better than Mexico. :tongue:

Since you already here and mentioned carp, I assume you want fresh water fishing and will probably help us get rid of some carps. For carp, hit the upper Yarra river. Merri creek is choked full of this suckers. Gardiner's creek, Dandenong creek...these are prime carp habitats.

In yarra river close to the city, you will probably catch 8-eyed eels, 2-headed carp and bream :roflmao: . The pinkies caught as high up as Docklads I reckon should be safe enough to eat...they are visitors, not residents of this river system. I will not eat bream from yarra. They glow green under UV lights. :roflmao:

cheers
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

squidfacekillah

Post by squidfacekillah » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks heaps everyone!

MIKER - I'll definitely give that spot a fish and see how it goes, hopefully on my rides to and from work & studies I'll get some more spots sussed..

Fish-cador - thanks for the tips! I'll give those spots on the yarra a fish for the carp and hopefully I'll catch some fatties.. Pinkies as far up as the docklands? I assume you're talking about snapper? that'd be nice to catch a few of those from some land based fishing.

I'd even be keen to hit up jetties or breakwalls for some good freshwater fishing.. I dont eat much (if any) of what I catch so I'm not too worried about toxicity of fish in the yarra.. but yeah, any help from you guys about where to go and how to target some decent saltwater fish would also be appreciated.

Also, any fishing shops around the city?

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:09 pm

oh, sorry squidface, I forgot you are from SA. Here in Mexico, we call baby snapper pinkies. VIC's legal size is a fraction of SA's. If an Adelaide snapper can no longer swallow a small snapper, that small snapper should be of legal size here. :lol:

pinkies from legal to barely legal all the way up to the front of the stadium and some up to 40 cm in between. you should be able to fish anywhere the marina/Victoria harbour. Just remember that this area is a "river" and you can only use 2 rods. Fish very early or before dark.

You can also fish under the bolte bridge and hit the water at the junction of yara and marybyrnong river. Lots of bream there - all sorts of bream - 3-eyed, 1-eyed, 2-headed to glowing green. :lolf:

Snapper in yarra/docklands should be OK to eat. They are visitors to the area and should not glow under a UV light.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

shazzagraz

Post by shazzagraz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:26 pm

squidfacekillah wrote:Also, any fishing shops around the city?
Compleat Angler on Flinders Lane is awesome.

steveconti

Post by steveconti » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:49 pm

Hey there...!! Thank you for sharing this with us.

Return to “Introductions”