Wanting to start targetting salmon on Halcos!!!! Please help

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Wanting to start targetting salmon on Halcos!!!! Please

Post by CarlG » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:22 pm

If the salmon are feeding, they will smash anything that flashes by. My favourite so far in the bay is a little waxwing lure. Watching the bow waves of the fish homing in as the lure weaves left and right is something else..plus you can slow down, it will go sub surface, or wind a bit quicker to bring it across the top..
In the bay it's a lot easier to get experimental with lures, you can go slugs, hardbodies, plastics, or vibes. Where I normally play, out on the backbeaches, the conditions are a lot more limiting, with slugs being the standard, and on calmer days, poppers or heavier subsurface lures like casting x-raps or the richter plugs I've been playing with of late..

passport1980

Post by passport1980 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:55 pm

DougieK wrote:Halco make twisters all the way down to 5g that are still very effective on salmon. IMO you need heavier leader, salmon change directions very quickly and if 4lb leader touches the side of the fish it's a good chance to snap. Other people will disagree, but IMO there is no reason to fish less than 10lb leader.

The gear you have other than that is fine to target salmon in the bay

but

If you want the best possible chance to connect to salmon, buy a 9 foot surf spin rod. You cannot beat the casting efficiency, time int he water, and amount of ground you covered than with a 902 combo that we discuss on here so frequently.

Thanks heaps Dougie. Ok, I will go the 8 FC for leader and get a 5 and 10 grammer. Great. That is what I was hoping would work. I don't really have the time to hit any of the coastal beaches.....so I will chase them Bayside way in the mornings when I get off work. (I do night shift, so I can be casting by 7:30am!!)

And I am looking at getting a bigger rod/medium sized reel, something multi purpose so I will Google that combo. Cheers mate. Hey, what does it look like when Salmon are around? Maybe I will just go from Mordi to Port Melbourne until I find them each morning.

adamk

Post by adamk » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:33 am

i used a laser today, inhailed all three trebles, but as mentioned if it's shiny an looks like fun they will smash it if there about

passport1980

Post by passport1980 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:18 am

adamk wrote:i used a laser today, inhailed all three trebles, but as mentioned if it's shiny an looks like fun they will smash it if there about

Yeah, nice. I saw that. And I live in the west so that is great!!! 30 gram eh? My set up is more suited to a 10 gram. I am not sure how much difference it makes with the sizes. I suppose there is only one way to find out.

adamk

Post by adamk » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:08 am

Sorry 20Gram. Use to use a 30 on the taylor.

Mines a low weight rod too . Daiwa aird trd 7ft combo was flicking from the pier to the marker with out much effort. Now have the bug for lure fishing. Next good day I seen was 12th tide wise but there been in around on dusk. Had a guy tell me you cant catch nothing from altona laughed in his face.

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”