jan juc salmon

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
shor_rock

jan juc salmon

Post by shor_rock » Mon May 07, 2012 11:27 pm

Saturday morning we packed up the kombi with everything needed for a weekend fishing trip. Warm sox, big boots, coffee pot and a heap of fishing tackle. The ride down was filled with excitement and anticipation. Thoughts and talks of what fish we'd like to beach, which would lead to day dream silent smiles.
The weather got brighter the further we got out of Melbourne and we arrive to a bright but Easterly bluster. At the beginning of the high tide.
After surveying the beach from the walk across the dunes we picked our spot opposite the brake the outer sand bar where the water was active and hardly no sand no weed. It was time to go back to the Kombi and arm ourselves to the teeth. Hook, line and sinker.
We were itching to test out the new rods and reels. Especially after good casting lesson with JS and weeks of practice in the build up to this moment.
My wife riffelling a Daiwa Surf Ballistic and Saltiga Surf 6000 for the first time and myself Ballistic Surf and a 7HT mag ST for the very first time. The first tentative casts were cautious and lobbed out in a fashion that could only be classed as line wetting,
As the confidence in the new equipment grew and the instructions of JS became more clear in our heads. The casting distance and accuracy was awesome. My wife was placing her bait 50 - 70m on each cast. Bearing in mind that this her fist surf fishing day. As the sun set on the wind swept beach, we decided to call it a day and head back to the Kombi for a hot coffee, hot food and an early night.
Alarm set for 5am
Day two Salmon Day!

We started early. 'D swappers over the mono for a Samurai braid in the 7HT . I was happy that I wouldn't birds nest after the casting session of the day before. Locked and loaded Salmon rigs I made the night before over dinner onto our casts and went Ballistic. You can't have better fun on the beach with your wife with your clothes on. Salmon biting. Reels singing and rods whipping the #8 ball past the break. By lunch we were exhausted and buzzing at the same time. Back to the Kombi for a brew (tea) snack pot and clean up the fish and tackle and then back to the city for a hot shower.
Great day away...

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: jan juc salmon

Post by CarlG » Tue May 08, 2012 8:14 am

Sounds like a whole lotta fun mate. Nice report. It`s great when you take someone for the first time and the fish are biting..
Carl..

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Tue May 08, 2012 8:19 am

Well done mate , great to see your Mrs actually enjoys to join you for some :r . :thumbsup:

slinga

Post by slinga » Tue May 08, 2012 8:59 am

Did you catch fish??
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Tue May 08, 2012 9:50 am

great post shor_rock ... you are not only a good fisho only but also a classy writer as well

well done mate and keep posting such a wounderful writes.

bottom line ... any fish has been catched at this time? :)

shor_rock

Post by shor_rock » Tue May 08, 2012 10:49 am

Thank you for the responses.
I just wanted to confirm that yes indeed, we did catch fish. Very decent sized Salmon which we bled on the spot. Australian salmon are excellent sport on 30lb Samurai braid. 20lb fluro leader, no. 8 ball running sinker on the cast and 20lb fluro terminal tackle spinning on a #10 swivel. Pilchard carefully presented on a gang of #3/0 hooks and secured with bait mate to prevent tear off during rifling the rod.

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Tue May 08, 2012 10:57 am

Good on you ... Keep it up

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue May 08, 2012 12:16 pm

Welcome, great fun when salmon are on the chew.

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”