new to salmon fishing with a few questions

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
scragers

new to salmon fishing with a few questions

Post by scragers » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:30 am

i have just started beach fishing (jan Juc) and am totally hooked excuse the pun on salmon just wondering whats the best tides to fish incoming/outgoing. I have had some luck on the late outgoing tide with 40g metal slugs . Also wondering about gummy fishing at jan juc. Been reading everything on here about both subjects and am learning heaps!!! probably just need some local knowledge as i have only recently moved to the area and don't know anyone down this way and im relatively new to beach fishing any help would be much appreciated cheers guys.

azkay

Re: new to salmon fishing with a few questions

Post by azkay » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:28 pm

I've fished Jan Juc a few times with some success. I'm a bait fisho but there are plenty of experienced members who do really well on slugs so I'm sure they'll be able to assist further in that regard. Funnily the tide hasn't effected my fishing there too much. I walk up and down look for the gutters whether the water is low and high and if you can hit them then your a good chance. Only a couple of times I've seen birds working too far out but it wouldn't have mattered whether it was low or high, i would have never been able to get it out that far..

Gummies from my understanding are an after dark prospect. I have tried a couple of times after salmon sessions but haven't had any success. Have heard of them in that area though and there's plenty of good reads through search engines if you type 'Jan Juc/Torquay Gummy Shark'. I personally changed to running sinker with larger baits and let them soak for as long as possible..

Moved to the area? What a ripper! Great place to be if you ask me.. Your at the foot of the Great Ocean Road, if your able to go for a short drive that way (compared to me in Melbourne its short) i believe you'd really increase your chances and number/size of catches. Anglesea, Aireys Inlet, Lorne, all the way through to Apollo Bay are holding great numbers and some surprisingly big salmon at the moment..

Good Luck :)

EDIT: Just noticed it was your first post, welcome to the site, look forward to reports from out that way..
Az.

Pelican

Post by Pelican » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:43 pm

Hi mate I fish the area a bit and quit often throw lures down at jan juc for salmon. Best conditions are late arvo high tide with low swell and nth winds, saying that I've caught fish at other times and conditions. What I usually do is park down near the surf club and start at that end of the beach ( usually there are no surfers or people swimming down there) and wander up as beach goers pack up and go home, also the gutters are easier to spot. I've never chased gummies down there but would love to have a go. Pm me if you interested in a little company for a spin session, or a after dark gummy hunt. Good luck

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:40 pm

Admittedly I've only fished down that way a few times, but as a general rule, I tend to focus on a rising tide when it comes to surf fishing. Early morning or late arvo for salmon, and night time for gumbos, specifically around the new moon and full moon periods. If you put in a night sesh down that neck of the woods, you will also be in for a chance of a Jewie!
Good luck, and I'm sure you'll have alot of fun along the way.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:56 pm

Travel light, go and look for them. You won't catch salmon if your lure isn't in the water, and don't just look at gutters, shoulders of waves, in the washes, around the headlands, the buggers can be anywhere..
Most importantly...don't forget your rope, the most vital piece of kit in the salmon angler's arsenal.

adtrac

Post by adtrac » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:39 pm

And a good knot in the rope helps!!!

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”