dockland fishing on 2nd June

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
alwaystry

Post by alwaystry » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:41 am

Hi,
I am new guy to this web. This is my first post and would like to share my fishing report on last Saturday.

I went to Dockland on last Saturday, fishing from 9am-12:30pm (12:50PM was highest tides) and was targeting for Snapper. However, I seemed to meet a school of Australian Salmon.

As a result, within 3 hours or so, I caught 16 of them with legal size between 22-28cm. And 3-5 were lost from my hook and one of rod was broken at the end.

Weather was very good, little cloudy and windy.

Andoki

Re: dockland fishing on 2nd June

Post by Andoki » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:01 pm

welcome to the forum mate ... and as always glad to read the members reports.

Talha

Post by Talha » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:16 pm

Welcome to the forums. Good job at docklands.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Theres been a run of bay trout in the docklands & surrounding area's of late , welcome to the site .

shazzagraz

Post by shazzagraz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:44 pm

What rigs are you guys using to catch these salmon? I've researched it and I keep coming up with gang hook rigs of size 4/0 with full large pilchards for salmon, but this sounds too big for fish that are weighing in at just 0.5 to 1kg.
Would a standard running sinker or paternoster rig with single 1/0 hooks work for these guys?

Taleb

Post by Taleb » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:26 pm

Welcome to the site, great report!

Cheers Taleb

slinga

Post by slinga » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:19 pm

shazzagraz wrote:What rigs are you guys using to catch these salmon? I've researched it and I keep coming up with gang hook rigs of size 4/0 with full large pilchards for salmon, but this sounds too big for fish that are weighing in at just 0.5 to 1kg.
Would a standard running sinker or paternoster rig with single 1/0 hooks work for these guys?
Depends on the size of salmon. Anything up to 1.5kg a 1/0 circle or octopus hook with half a pilchard or blue bait. Wrap your bait in elastic before you put it on the hook. Single or double paternoster.

Salmon up to 5kg I would use a 2 hook rig with 2 5/0 hooks and a full pilchard, again single or double paternoster
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

slinga

Post by slinga » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:20 pm

Dont use gang hooks either lol
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:29 pm

Hi Shazza, it depends on where you are fishing the salmon, if you are surf/beach fishing then I’d go with Slinga’s rig on a double paternoster, and you can use a piece of Pilchard or pippies; but if you are fishing from pier, then you can also use a floating rig with double hooks as well.

Alternatively, you can troll a metal lure and you will catch the most of them, clean catch :)

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:08 pm

How refreshing to see a first time poster post a report, not just "where can I catch xxxx", which is f###ing annoying.
Well done mate, and welcome to the site..
Carl..

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”