dockland fishing on 2nd June

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Re: dockland fishing on 2nd June

Post by Brett » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:46 pm

Andoki wrote:The frozen pilchard stays longer on the hook, and tolerate any rough casting, but the fresh attracts more fish ; I'd also take some other type of baits with me just in case pilchard is not working that day.
Good luck
Andoki, I don't wish to sound rude smh But frozen pilchards are one of ths softest baits you can get and certainly will not stay on the hook longer or survive a strong cast better than a fresh fillet or squid bait. I have no idea of your experience and am not saying you have none, but to say something like that is plain silly. (if you ask me)

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:02 am

Excuse me Brett, I did not ask you, but you are absolutely wrong here, because if you are in this business for a while you should come to know that the commercially frozen Pilchard is actually the most closest to the fresh condition compared to what it called fresh in the market, providing you buy it frozen (not too old though) and kept frozen until you start using it.
The reason for this is, it get commercially frozen on board right after it got mass caught from the seas, compared to who know how long it took what it called fresh in handling and transportation and presentation in the air … etc.
So what it called fresh it is actually not fresh unless you catch it yourself, then it is fresh.
The Pilchard is a soft and oily fish, and it get smelly if it kept in the open air, and this is why it attracts more fish compared to the frozen fish that locks its oils in the flesh … on the other hand the frozen one keeps the flesh in its original condition until it melt, hence it holds and stay longer on the hook.

Sometimes I feel you just debate for the debate, but take my advice from an experienced man, don’t tease anyone on his opinion in science, because there is no 100% answer in science, if you know what I mean.

Now it is your turn to tell us about your experience

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:16 am

slinga wrote:Fresh bait if you can get it. I dont think I will ever use servo pilchards again :lol:
I know Slinga, was talking about fresh(not frozen) bait, as I have been helping him out with advice over the past couple of weeks, which he has followed and had success with. :banana:
Andoki wrote:Excuse me Brett, I did not ask you, but you are absolutely wrong here, because if you are in this business for a while you should come to know that the commercially frozen Pilchard is actually the most closest to the fresh condition compared to what it called fresh in the market, providing you buy it frozen (not too old though) and kept frozen until you start using it.
The reason for this is, it get commercially frozen on board right after it got mass caught from the seas, compared to who know how long it took what it called fresh in handling and transportation and presentation in the air … etc.
So what it called fresh it is actually not fresh unless you catch it yourself, then it is fresh.
The Pilchard is a soft and oily fish, and it get smelly if it kept in the open air, and this is why it attracts more fish compared to the frozen fish that locks its oils in the flesh … on the other hand the frozen one keeps the flesh in its original condition until it melt, hence it holds and stay longer on the hook.
As for pilchards being the closest to fresh as you will ever get, that is a joke. By the time they get to the store, it is not uncommon for them to have been tossed around and thawed/refrozen more than once during there travels. A lot of the stores around here aren't set to temperature and the pilchards are only par frozen, when you take them out. All these things add up.
I've even been to stores on delivery day and seen, boxes of bait sitting on the floor in the middle of the store, while staff are attending to customers, by the time it's packed in the freezer, all of it has started to thaw and has reduced the baits freshness, if it had any in the first place.

Anything purchased fresh locally from the market, will commonly be less than 24hrs old and will 9 times out of 10 outfish a ratty old frozen pilchard, this is what I mean when I say fresh.
When ever we sent fish to market, it was caught today, packed with ice and stored in a cool room, then sent overnight to market to be sold the next day, usually before the sun had risen, if that's not fresh I don't know what is :dontknow

I also don't buy bait, I catch my own, this is one of the most important things I tell people that ask me for help.
If you can't catch it yourself, then buy fresh, non frozen, from the market if possible as it will always out perform any frozen tackle store/servo bait.

So my original comment is still, Frozen pilchards are soft and worse than any fresh(not frozen) fillet or squid bait and will not hold up as good.

slinga

Post by slinga » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:38 am

Wrap your pilchard in elastic or baitmate before putting it on the hook helps a bit.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:51 am

This is your opinion and everyone is free of his opinion … but don’t blame the pilchard if it dropped off your hook when your casting unless you wrapped it with elastic :)

slinga

Post by slinga » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:09 am

Brett wrote:
slinga wrote:Fresh bait if you can get it. I dont think I will ever use servo pilchards again :lol:
I know Slinga, was talking about fresh(not frozen) bait, as I have been helping him out with advice over the past couple of weeks, which he has followed and had success with. :banana:
Andoki wrote:Excuse me Brett, I did not ask you, but you are absolutely wrong here, because if you are in this business for a while you should come to know that the commercially frozen Pilchard is actually the most closest to the fresh condition compared to what it called fresh in the market, providing you buy it frozen (not too old though) and kept frozen until you start using it.
As for pilchards being the closest to fresh as you will ever get, that is a joke. By the time they get to the store, it is not uncommon for them to have been tossed around and thawed/refrozen more than once during there travels. A lot of the stores around here aren't set to temperature and the pilchards are only par frozen, when you take them out. All these things add up.
I've even been to stores on delivery day and seen, boxes of bait sitting on the floor in the middle of the store, while staff are attending to customers, by the time it's packed in the freezer, all of it has started to thaw and has reduced the baits freshness, if it had any in the first place.

Anything purchased fresh locally from the market, will commonly be less than 24hrs old and will 9 times out of 10 outfish a ratty old frozen pilchard, this is what I mean when I say fresh.
When ever we sent fish to market, it was caught today, packed with ice and stored in a cool room, then sent overnight to market to be sold the next day, usually before the sun had risen, if that's not fresh I don't know what is :dontknow

I also don't buy bait, I catch my own, this is one of the most important things I tell people that ask me for help.
If you can't catch it yourself, then buy fresh, non frozen, from the market if possible as it will always out perform any frozen tackle store/servo bait.

So my original comment is still, Frozen pilchards are soft and worse than any fresh(not frozen) fillet or squid bait and will not hold up as good.

How does that song go??

2 outta 3 aint bad :lol: (as in 2 gummies from last 3 outings, and a bronzie) :fish11:
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

shazzagraz

dockland fishing on 2nd June

Post by shazzagraz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:34 pm

Can you guys recommend any good markets for purchasing fresh pilchards? I live in St Kilda, and the Sth Melbourne markets and Queen Vic markets are easily accessible to me, would they have fish markets there?

I have always just bought frozen, I thought that was the norm. But happy to try anything to improve my chances of a good session.

I am yet to give squidding a go too, but keen to catch a few for a nice feed and also for some fresh bait.

slinga

Post by slinga » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Both those markets should have fresh stuff. Dont be limited to thinking salmon only eat pilchards. They will take squid and other baits such as trevally etc.

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:03 pm

shazzagraz wrote:Can you guys recommend any good markets for purchasing fresh pilchards? I live in St Kilda, and the Sth Melbourne markets and Queen Vic markets are easily accessible to me, would they have fish markets there?

I have always just bought frozen, I thought that was the norm. But happy to try anything to improve my chances of a good session.

I am yet to give squidding a go too, but keen to catch a few for a nice feed and also for some fresh bait.
Both those markets do sell pilchards...

also Prahran market should have them..

...and there is a Fish monger on Carlisle Street, St Kilda East (near the pedestrian crossing) that always has "fresh" pilchards
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:02 pm

fresh garfish is also a good bait not sure about for salmon but in queensland it was a killer bait for bream and apperently works well for snapper in ppb. pretty sure most markets will sell em' i know queenvic does
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”