The plan

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: The plan

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:15 pm

Mikey87 wrote:Sounds like a quality plan Wolly! Looking forward to the report mate!
Charging the gopro battery at the moment.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:41 pm

So I hope you guys did better than me. Couldn't find a fish to save my life. All we got were a few undersized flatties. Slowest day I've had in ages. Still, was a cracker of a day to be out there.

Looking forward to hearing ur results!

cahoona
Has liked: 15 times

Post by cahoona » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:15 pm

very tough day caught about 10 flathead 4 where size and 1 tiny bait squid
DSC_0796 - Copy.JPG

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:25 pm

I got some red mullet from mornington pier today.
Hope the others who are out got something decent.
Cheers

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:25 pm

Like all good plans, some things can go astray. :o_0:

Did the bearings, changed the tyre and as the fuel left over was a little old, I bought some fresher stuff and add the fuel preserve.

Took off, and after a little while, it sounded like a bearing needed attention. So stopped to pick the deckhand up and took the wheel off and added more grease. Didn't fix the problem so took the other wheel off, and it was fine.

The vibration, rumble would cease above 80k's. So headed off to Inverloch. About 15k's there was a sudden bang and really bad vibration, like a wheel had come off. Stopping quickly and unfortunately not able to get the car off the road, fortunately it was a straight bit of road.

There was smoke coming off the tyre, and I dreaded the idea that the wheel bearing might be a bit difficult to get off the axle. Fortunately it did''t prove to be too difficult. After we got rolling I decided to try an get a spare, but sadly most of the tyre places were closed by this time. So I decided to the go fishing first and worry about it later.

We launched at Mahers Landing and up that far the water was murky, so knowing where to go proved a little interesting, I headed down towards the mouth and suddenly there was acres and acres where the water depth was barely enough to wet your big toe. The prop got a good sand blasting as we weaved this way and that trying to find deeper water. By now the deck was have kittens, worried about having to get out an push, but he was the one wearing the waders.

Could see heap and heaps of yabbie holes in the sand, might go back and pump some at a later date. Even with the engine trimmed as high as it could go, the prop would still leave a trail of silt behind, eventually the I see darker blue water, but to get there meant crossing an area of shallow. Eventually we made it too deeper water.

Then we started trolling and headed towards a couple kayaks and a boat. At this stage we were trolling two rods each. Having two rods each out eventually proved to be far far too much a hassle, especially when we had a big tangle. At this point we were trolling metal lures, but then when we switched to soft plastics and life became far far more interesting. One rod each with soft plastics we wouldn't have to go more that a 20 metres before one was hooked up, often it was a double hook up.

In the end we caught 16 salmon, lost a few and boy some of them put up a pretty good fight.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:26 am

Nothing worse than having hassles when you are going fishing but I like the attitude go fishing then worry about it and with catching fish the right choice.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:01 pm

Nude up wrote:Nothing worse than having hassles when you are going fishing but I like the attitude go fishing then worry about it and with catching fish the right choice.
The deckie was stressing out a bit, but considering all the times I have towed the trailer, I have only ever had one flat tyre and that was maybe 20 years ago. Mind with the car it was different, two flat tyres in two days.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:15 pm

Just put a couple of salmon in the smoker.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:53 pm

Glad to hear it worked out!
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Mikey87

Post by Mikey87 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:39 am

well done fighting through for the results mate! Sounds like well deserved haul after all the drama.

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”