Why bleed your salmon?

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Why bleed your salmon?

Post by CarlG » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:57 pm

BigBad64 wrote:Has anyone got a link to a decent video showing the best way to bleed an Australian salmon on the beach?

The only one I can find on Youtube is two guys in a boat who sound like they shouldn't be allowed near sharp implements.

Lol...use your left hand to hold the fish, with your right hand, put you thumb on top of the head, (fish held upright), Put your forefinger in the left hand side of the gills, your middle finger in the right side of the gills. Pull back hard, kick a hole in the sand. Put the salmon in the hole head first, kick the sand back in. Leave the tail sticking out the top to locate it in case you wander off..

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:39 pm

CarlG wrote:
BigBad64 wrote:Has anyone got a link to a decent video showing the best way to bleed an Australian salmon on the beach?

The only one I can find on Youtube is two guys in a boat who sound like they shouldn't be allowed near sharp implements.

Lol...use your left hand to hold the fish, with your right hand, put you thumb on top of the head, (fish held upright), Put your forefinger in the left hand side of the gills, your middle finger in the right side of the gills. Pull back hard, kick a hole in the sand. Put the salmon in the hole head first, kick the sand back in. Leave the tail sticking out the top to locate it in case you wander off..

I'll add that once you think it's neck is snapped, it snaps a little bit more and bleeds more effectively after the second 'pop'.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:04 am

My preferred method is to Take a pair of emt snips or kitchen shears. Cut underside of throat and right up to the main artery under its backbone. Kick a hole in the sand as previously mentioned.

I like smoking them because you can do an overnight brine provided you've done the above treatment which means you don't need to smoke the fish until the next day. Just be sure to trim all the red bloodline out.

rafei1

Post by rafei1 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:40 pm

I never bleed my salmon even for eating, mainly because i found a way to clean the fish and the blood stuck in the veins which if u didn't remove will make ur fish not very pleasant to eat.

If u didn't bleed them, when u gut the fish u need to keep going till u hit the backbone and clean the blood out. If u bleed them there is less blood in the veins but have a look inside see if u see a dark line inside, thats where most the blood is trapped.

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:26 pm

I'd rather bleed myself than eat a Salmon, just don't like them, my theory is if you have to dress the flesh with all kinds of stuff then you are just better off not eating them, they taste ok smoked though

BigBad64

Post by BigBad64 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:49 pm

DougieK wrote:
CarlG wrote:

I'll add that once you think it's neck is snapped, it snaps a little bit more and bleeds more effectively after the second 'pop'.
Ok Cheers - and lastly, the 3-finger pull-back neck-snap, that kills the fish immediately so you don't need to worry about spiking it, right?
It's just that I saw the one I got last week still kicking a bit after I did the neck snap - maybe that's just the nerves?

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:01 pm

BigBad64 wrote:
DougieK wrote:
CarlG wrote:

Ok Cheers - and lastly, the 3-finger pull-back neck-snap, that kills the fish immediately so you don't need to worry about spiking it, right?
It's just that I saw the one I got last week still kicking a bit after I did the neck snap - maybe that's just the nerves?
Just nerves mate, no need to spike them after snapping them properly.

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”