Need help getting into landbased sambos.

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
zardez

Need help getting into landbased sambos.

Post by zardez » Sat May 10, 2014 9:42 pm

Hey guys, I'm very new here.
On monday I caught my first aussie salmon (relatively small) and now I'm keen to chase them on lures. I just bought a 9' rod of eBay here's the link eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 0982274240" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I won mine for $16 which I figured was pretty cheap, I don't want to spend big dollars because I might find out I don't like walking on sand at the crack of dawn in the freezing cold, :p
I need some advice on what to get for the reel.
I'll be fishing the start of the ninety mile beach almost exclusively (15 minutes from where I live) mostly woodside and reeves beach. I've been reading everything I can on here.
I think I need metal slug lures (the local shop here has the gillies 25gram ones which I think will be a little light for what I'll be doing) is around 40gram what I should be looking for?
And from what I've read I need about 5kg braid on the reel with 10 pound mono leader.
Just after some suggestions on a budget reel and some conformation that I'm on the right track.
If anyone has any good threads they know of that the search function may not have revealed to me, or any other places where I could read a beginners guide about surf lure fishing that would be wonderful.

Lots of questions I know I guess thats part of what forums are for though! Thanks for all your help.

Josh.

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Re: Need help getting into landbased sambos.

Post by Raulfc7 » Sat May 10, 2014 9:53 pm

Hey bud have a read of this article it covers a lot about spinning, you may know most of it but there might be something in there that you haven't come across.
http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/Articl ... n-the-Surf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sat May 10, 2014 10:08 pm

In the for sale section on here, someone is selling a couple of cheap 4000 size reels, one of those would do to get you started. 5kg mainline is spot on, 16 or 20lb leader is the go. Lure weight, on a calm day, 35 gram will do, but 40's and 50's are standard.

zardez

Post by zardez » Sat May 10, 2014 10:53 pm

Cheers Raul, I hadn't read that one, it's a good one, and straight to the point.
Cheers Carl I'll check it out.

zardez

Post by zardez » Sat May 10, 2014 11:01 pm

I'm really showing my wealth of knowledge here Haha :p what does the 4000 stand for? Is it the reel size? The amount of line it can hold? The gear ratio?

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Sat May 10, 2014 11:07 pm

4000 is the size of the reel.
Most "common" sizes are from 1000, 2500, 4000, 5000, 8000, 10000 and so on.
In terms of how much line capacity it will hold will depend mainly on the brand of the reel, which mainline you are going to spool (braid or mono) with and what breaking strength.
Gear ratios are dependent on the brand and models they carry.

zardez

Post by zardez » Sat May 10, 2014 11:28 pm

Wonderful thanks, so 4000 is a good size for salmon surf fishing?

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat May 10, 2014 11:29 pm

4000 size is great for lure fishing in the surf
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Sat May 10, 2014 11:32 pm

My understanding is that the 2500, 4000 sizes etc are based on shimano reels. Other brands size their reels differently which can get really confusing .They'll generally have an equivalent reel though, so have a look at a shimano 4000 and pick something similar in size

zardez

Post by zardez » Sat May 10, 2014 11:40 pm

Cheers for clearing that up everyone! Really appreciate the hasty replies, now to put on my big boy panties and brave the cold.

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”