Reliable Spots with Kids and a Car?

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
BiDDo

Reliable Spots with Kids and a Car?

Post by BiDDo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:19 am

Hi All,

Just created an account on this forum hoping to generate a new fishing community to talk with. (see my intro)

Planning to take the kids out today around 11 am 1to take advantage of the 2.30pm HIGH. I live in the northern suburbs of Melbourne so have made a couple runs down to Canning reserve as it has good access and facilities for the kidlets and parking.

Would appreciate any tips on some other reliable spots to pick up some bream or other species on light tackle. I like to think I have a fundamental understanding of what I am doing but need the local insight on where to fish. I like the idea of heading down the east side beach/jetties but the time traveling is a bit of a killer for the kids, but to date the Maribyrnong River seems most accessible.

Would appreciate anyone local wisdom.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Reliable Spots with Kids and a Car?

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:03 am

Obtain a copy of the Landbased Guide for Port Phillip and Corio bays, it should help a lot.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:49 am

Barwon river... sherpwas rd
St helens park. Toilets fishingall in one
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:26 pm

A great spot to take the kids and Mrs is the Maribynong near the Anglers tavern in Moonee ponds. If you go there at low tide the kids have fun collecting spider crabs around the rocks and then once the tide starts coming in start fishing. I've had a few good sessions on the bream around there and if the kids lose interest there is playgrounds to keep them occupied. Anywhere along Chifley drive is good.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:36 pm

Yep I’m another one for St. Helens. Can park the car there and fish with a toilet just nearby :thumbsup:

BiDDo

Post by BiDDo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:47 pm

Ended up making the trip out to Maribyrnong Park, near the anglers shed.

Unfortunately not a sniff, although we were relying on some BCF frozen squid but it didn't even get ratted. Same bit of bait untouched on 4 lines over 3 hours.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:01 pm

Hopefully some more luck for you next time mate. Landbased can be very frustrating at times like that but it’s all worth it when you have a great session!
Cheers :thumbsup:

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:21 pm

BiDDo wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:47 pm
Ended up making the trip out to Maribyrnong Park, near the anglers shed.

Unfortunately not a sniff, although we were relying on some BCF frozen squid but it didn't even get ratted. Same bit of bait untouched on 4 lines over 3 hours.
Yes wrong bait there mate you can always try normal garden worms there as well being brackish water all sorts of species are there and most will attack a bunch of worms.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

BiDDo

Post by BiDDo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:57 pm

Yeah I think ill make the trip down to the eastern beaches and get me some sand worms.

I tried a few yabbie/shrimp looking SP's but no touch either, would be good to "hook up" with some others once in a while and get some tips.

Matthew drako
Has liked: 28 times

Post by Matthew drako » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:39 pm

BiDDo wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:57 pm
Yeah I think ill make the trip down to the eastern beaches and get me some sand worms.

I tried a few yabbie/shrimp looking SP's but no touch either, would be good to "hook up" with some others once in a while and get some tips.
unlucky on no fish mate, it's all part of the learning curve, it seems like you've been fishing the nong a lot, once you work it out and understand the place well, you will have some great trips.
Also, if targetting bream/mullet at the nong, I would'nt recommend squid, try something like a small crab for bream(as mentioned above) or bits of prawn or chicken breast for multiple species. Maggots also work well when the fishing slows up.
Oh due to you being northern, I would recomend very, very highly that you make a trip to williamstown. never fails me and never go home with donuts.
Cheers Matt.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”