delete

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
shazzagraz

Fishing help

Post by shazzagraz » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:15 pm

What's this "walking the dog" method FC? I just got home from work and I'm gonna go for a bike ride along the shore (I live in St Kilda) to check out the piers and see if there's any action happening at the moment before it gets dark. Might be some motivation to get out one afternoon this week if I ever get home early enough to head out.

Andoki

Re: Fishing help

Post by Andoki » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi Shazza ... I think by the time you go there today, it would be a bit late for spinning a lure for Salmon
in my opinion, the best time to catch them is first light in the morning and the last hour before the sun sets.
good luck anyway

shazzagraz

Fishing help

Post by shazzagraz » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:10 pm

Wasn't going for a fish mate, I knew it was going to be too late but I just wanted to get out for two reasons;
1- I've been sick lately and haven't been out of the house much apart from going to work, so I felt like getting a little exercise and jumping on the bike, and;
2- I was curious to see if there was any action happening on the piers.

By the time I got down to the shore it was already dark, but I still went down to St Kilda pier to have a squiz and there was not one fisherman to be seen. Obviously there is no action there at the moment. Not even the old w*** targeting the gar's which I hear are thick in the bay at the moment.
Nevertheless, I will get down there for an attempt some time soon, work and weather allowing.

And FC, my first fish on a lure was also at Mordi. A nice 49cm flathead caught in the mouth of the creek, on soft plastic.
Actually I tell a lie, I had caught two fish on lures before that, a yellow belly and a red fin in Beechworth just trolling spinnerbaits, but for some reason I don't really like to claim them as anything special as I feel I did no work to get them. I was on my mates tinny, all his tackle, he just handed me the rod and started driving the boat around the lake. So yeah, no real effort on my behalf other than casting and landing the fish.

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:19 pm

good you live close to St Kilda pier, so you can go whenever it suites you, it usually cost me about $10 parking every time I go there ... although I'd never go there on weekend or public holidays (because it is usually over crowded), but it can produce some good fish on some days.
You are right, Gar are in the bay and lately I see many people on almost every pier catching too much of them. Cheers

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:05 pm

shazzagraz wrote:What's this "walking the dog" method FC? .

I tie a heavy leader to my Golden Retriever and I kick the dog overboard and I let him walk or paddle :grin:

This is a technique that is only possible when using a floating lure. You flick the lure a little bit left and right. Here is a sample video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FffQqqPmYc
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

johnat24

Post by johnat24 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi Shazza, I'm just along the coast in Sandringham, only been sea fishing since I moved over here from the uk and at the moment I'm not doing good! I'm 7/0 for my trips so far! Don't know what I'm doing wrong but then I've only ventured out to Hampton pier! Tried once in st Kilda on the spinners/ hard bodies but again nothing!
Like they say, you've gotta be in it to win it, so I'll keep on plugging away( pun not intended) and I'm going to try mordialloc and Brighton piers in the near future!

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:30 pm

johnat24 wrote:Hi Shazza, I'm just along the coast in Sandringham, only been sea fishing since I moved over here from the uk and at the moment I'm not doing good! I'm 7/0 for my trips so far! Don't know what I'm doing wrong but then I've only ventured out to Hampton pier! Tried once in st Kilda on the spinners/ hard bodies but again nothing!
Like they say, you've gotta be in it to win it, so I'll keep on plugging away( pun not intended) and I'm going to try mordialloc and Brighton piers in the near future!
Keep at it, I felt like giving up at one stage. I went through a stage where I couldn't catch a fish if my life depended on it.

But then I didn't have anything else to do with my time, so I persevered. :sun: :fish11:

Beside, with all those fishing shows, you only see the success, not the hours and hours and even days when they don't even loose a bait. :whoh:

Mordi pier with the rough weather will be good for some salmon action, even a pinkie or two. Go to Fishing Fever shop in Mordi and talk to them.

Learn how catch gars, they are always fun.

With salmon you need to be there when they are there, it is all about timing and a bit of luck.

Get the landbased fishing guide to Port Phillip and Corio bays, it is well worth it.

slinga

Post by slinga » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:29 pm

I dont think Sambos are on the bite more at dawn or dusk. They are reasonably consistent throughout the day in my experience.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:03 pm

ive found that the salmon are biting at sunset and just after sunset on mordi pier i can usually catch at least 10 to 20 every time i go using either soft plastic or chicken. i love catching them on soft plastic with really light gear. lots of fun. and the old greeks are going out there at about 3 am and catching them using chicken or silverfish for bait on a float.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”