delete

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
alexdefig

Re: Fishing help

Post by alexdefig » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:16 pm

Hey John

One more thing, then I'll leave u alone! haha. I'm keen to see how my Patterson River predictions go.

Here's the fishing spot just so u know exactly where to go, boat ramp on the left, flood gate on the right. The whole stretch between is good fishing ... If it's too crowded, next best spot is under the bridges near the river mouth.

Cheers mate
Attachments
patterson river.jpg
patterson river.jpg (27.13 KiB) Viewed 739 times

johnat24

Post by johnat24 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:32 am

alexdefig wrote:Hey John

One more thing, then I'll leave u alone! haha. I'm keen to see how my Patterson River predictions go.

Here's the fishing spot just so u know exactly where to go, boat ramp on the left, flood gate on the right. The whole stretch between is good fishing ... If it's too crowded, next best spot is under the bridges near the river mouth.

Cheers mate

Alex, that's brilliant mate, thank u soooo much!!
Bought some frozen prawns but they have the shell on, so I'll have to peel them as I use them! I will be leaving work at three so there at about 320, hopefully this time I'll nail something other than a bloody starfish!!

I will post on my return home, good news or bad!!

vxcalais
Has liked: 3 times

Post by vxcalais » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:52 am

Excellent posts from Alex. Snell 2 hooks up and stick the prawn on 1 and maybe a gulp prawn on the other. That way you wont need to pull it in to check as often.

johnat24

Post by johnat24 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:49 am

vxcalais wrote:Excellent posts from Alex. Snell 2 hooks up and stick the prawn on 1 and maybe a gulp prawn on the other. That way you wont need to pull it in to check as often.
Thanks vxcalais, all I need to do now is find out what snell means, then I'll be away!!

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:08 pm

johnat24 wrote:
vxcalais wrote:Excellent posts from Alex. Snell 2 hooks up and stick the prawn on 1 and maybe a gulp prawn on the other. That way you wont need to pull it in to check as often.
Thanks vxcalais, all I need to do now is find out what snell means, then I'll be away!!
If you look in the forum; Hooks, Lines and Sinkers you will find that Brett posted links to two websites on tying knots on this site, that show how to snell a hook.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:53 pm

If I recall correctly prior to the forming of eyes on fishing hooks, hooks were made with a spade end (flat) and snelling was the method used to attach the hook to the fishing line.

johnat24

Post by johnat24 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:46 pm

I always use a freshwater tucked blood knot anyway to attach my hooks without usin the eye so I must be doing something right for a change and didn't even know it!! Waheyyyy!

alexdefig

Post by alexdefig » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi John

No worries, glad to help. My dad was born & raised in Wales so I've gotta help out the poms! If it doesn't work out I'll go into more detail - what i've told u is pretty basic guide, there's heaps more that can be done to improve your chances.

One last thing. Peeled prawn on hook u need to make sure the point is exposed and that it won't come off easily when casting or washing around in the current. These pics are pretty much spot on i recon. what they're showing is tail section of the prawn with the shell removed. it'll just peel off, just fiddle round with it and make sure you're careful putting it on the hook, it needs to be able to stay in one piece for as long as possible.

good luck! have fun :thumbsup:

alex
Attachments
bait on hook 3.jpg
bait on hook 3.jpg (6.57 KiB) Viewed 706 times
bait on hook 2.jpg
bait on hook 2.jpg (14.62 KiB) Viewed 706 times

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:44 pm

let us know how Patto went for you. Will flick my prawn if the place is producing fish. I have 4 of this and I haven't used them.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:51 am

Fish-cador wrote:let us know how Patto went for you. Will flick my prawn if the place is producing fish. I have 4 of this and I haven't used them.
FC i have the same lure and haven't used it either.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”