Reef island?

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
leic4life

Reef island?

Post by leic4life » Thu May 21, 2015 1:12 pm

Hey guys,

Has anyone fished down nears reef island before?

Looks like there is a road called soldiers rd that takes you down to the beach there.

Has anyone fished off the beach there?

Is it a high or low tide fish?

Cheers guys

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Reef island?

Post by 4liters » Thu May 21, 2015 1:20 pm

Kennedy Point? Never fished there myself but but according the the LBG for WPB aka My Fisho Bible it is best fished at high tide. Doesn't mean you can't wade out at low tide to cast into deeper water though I guess.

It allegedly holds KGW, LJs, flathead, salmon and gummies.

edit - it might be a pretty popular spot, Google Earth shows an awful lot of cars parked there for such a remote location.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

leic4life

Post by leic4life » Thu May 21, 2015 1:49 pm

cheers for the reply mate.

Yeah I did notice that myself and thats why I asked the question.

Ill give it a go and let you know .

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu May 21, 2015 2:00 pm

Good luck!
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Thu May 21, 2015 2:16 pm

They run horses on the beach there and there are horrible marsh flies (probably from the cow paddocks and horse stables in the area).
Schools go there too, to ride horses on the beach etc, so maybe that's why so many cars in the photo.
No you can't launch a boat, but good luck trying to get it over the solid gum pole fencing. You could probably get a small tinny or kayak over the fence with a bit of effort.
It's very shallow there for about 150/200 metres so in low tide the water is about 30cm deep and then towards the land it dries up. Maybe if you can wear waders because there is a nice drop off around the 200m mark and you should be into a decent channel :thumbsup:
So tide movement is not very big/high.
So if you launch a kayak/tinny make sure you get back before too much tide is gone out otherwise happy pushing and pulling.
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Longshot

Post by Longshot » Fri May 22, 2015 7:25 am

Its a very popular Yak spot, as its an easy launch and retrieve. ( Parks Vic even set up a Yak launch area)
Land Based, its fishable, The whiting hang on the weedline within casting distance, Pinkies hang in the weed and the odd school of Salmon come through chasing Garfish as well. However the downsides. Lots and Lots of Toadies, and I've been there at 3am before just in time to watch a mini bus full of new Australians dragging nets through the shallows which effectively cleans the area out.
Go another 5 mins back towards Melbourne and try off the beach at Coronet Bay (End of CuttySark Road) Its much more pleasant and productive, and you have about a K of beach to pick an area.

leic4life

Post by leic4life » Fri May 22, 2015 9:22 am

cheers mate

Myself and mate fish Tenby a bit but wouldn't mind trying some new places down there.

So what tide would you fish at cuttysark rd?
Is it ok for gummies?

appreciate your help mate

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Fri May 22, 2015 3:16 pm

Longshot wrote:Its a very popular Yak spot, as its an easy launch and retrieve. ( Parks Vic even set up a Yak launch area)
Land Based, its fishable, The whiting hang on the weedline within casting distance, Pinkies hang in the weed and the odd school of Salmon come through chasing Garfish as well. However the downsides. Lots and Lots of Toadies, and I've been there at 3am before just in time to watch a mini bus full of new Australians dragging nets through the shallows which effectively cleans the area out.
Go another 5 mins back towards Melbourne and try off the beach at Coronet Bay (End of CuttySark Road) Its much more pleasant and productive, and you have about a K of beach to pick an area.
"New Australian's" what does that mean? I thought netting was illegal, did you call DEPI and report them?
Not sure if we talking the same spot where there's a strip of black rubber over the wooden horizontal post. Was that supposed to make it easier to drag your kayak over??
I just thought another yak fisho had done that.
Yeah the toadies down there are horrible.
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Longshot

Post by Longshot » Fri May 22, 2015 5:08 pm

FishnMiss wrote: "New Australian's" what does that mean? I thought netting was illegal, did you call DEPI and report them?
Not sure if we talking the same spot where there's a strip of black rubber over the wooden horizontal post. Was that supposed to make it easier to drag your kayak over?? I just thought another yak fisho had done that.
Yeah the toadies down there are horrible.
Yeah makes it easy to launch a Yak, back your car up and just slide it over and onto the grass.
New Australians are just that.. I'm not going to comment much more, but one of those countries that doesn't have a fishery anymore. After watching almost the exact same thing with a minivan full of people keeping dozens of Ellies at Stockyard Point last year, and DEPI basically saying sorry there's no one around, I don't bother. I have better things to do than get stabbed.

I'd fish the run in at Cuttysark, I'm not sure how you'd go with Gummys as its more a reef/sand bottom. More likely to pull an Eagle. Your best WP Landbased Gummy spots are Tenby, Stockyard, Lang Lang, Somers and Merricks (in my opinion anyway)

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Fri May 22, 2015 6:49 pm

FishnMiss wrote: Not sure if we talking the same spot where there's a strip of black rubber over the wooden horizontal post. Was that supposed to make it easier to drag your kayak over??
I just thought another yak fisho had done that.
Parks put the black sliders on the fence - they were written to and asked if an easier enter could be put in for the kayakers
and this is what they come up with
there were also some signs asking people not to park in front of this area but of cause they got pulled down in no time - replaced once and some clown pulled them down again

as for fishing the beach when the tide drops you will be casting into deep thick weed with the tide up however it's quite sandy out to the weed line

I don't land base there myself but kayak the area quite a bit -- fishing along the weed line though can be very good for whiting - pinkies and the odd flatty
squid are also along the weed line as well

if it's any help bass yabbies are easy enough to pump along there when the tide is down -- I however do better with pieces of banana prawn
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”