Low-tide SP/lure tactics

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
LightninLopez

Low-tide SP/lure tactics

Post by LightninLopez » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:00 pm

Yo, this might seem like a bit of a newbie question (and in fact, maybe it is...)

But what are some good tactics for low tide lure based fishing? I've always managed to time trips with the high tide. But I'm itching to wet a line, and there's no way I'mma get out for the high tide this weekend.

I was thinking of heading down to Altona, near the Cheltenham wetlands and wading out to chuck around some SPs, mainly for flatties. Is it worth it at low tide? Anything I should do differently or expect?

Cheers!

adamk

Re: Low-tide SP/lure tactics

Post by adamk » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:30 pm

watch out for man on man lovers, i remember scouting the area with my dog it tends to be shallow an very weedy an see the odd gay couple nude baking an ect on the sand islands o_0

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:52 pm

adamk wrote:watch out for man on man lovers, i remember scouting the area with my dog it tends to be shallow an very weedy an see the odd gay couple nude baking an ect on the sand islands o_0
Been told FC was there that day!!!! :tongue: :tongue:

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

adamk

Post by adamk » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:56 pm

pines down from boat ramp would prolly be a better option i have freinds that go diving out there from time to time when there not being meatheads bombing off altona pier that have run into jewies flounder flattys snapper an odd gummys wile out diving around there. but thats over 12 months ago now

LightninLopez

Post by LightninLopez » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:07 pm

Ohh yeah so around the altona coastal park? Or did you mean south of the boat ramp. Never tried round there, but looks good from the old google maps. Says there's a marine santuary to the north so I guess ill look up maps of where that starts.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:02 pm

At the south end of the esplanade you can wade out to the sand bank where it drops off at low tide, a good cast with some weighty jig heads will get you in good flattie ground. You can do same along the wetlands south of there but it doesn't drop off the same. Ditto the dog beach north of boat ramp.

Jawbone Marine park starts at Kororoit creek estuary and runs along to williamstown. Stay Altona side of creek and you will be fine

LightninLopez

Post by LightninLopez » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:01 pm

Cool. Sounds good. I'll give those spots a shot. Thanks!

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:27 pm

LightninLopez wrote:Cool. Sounds good. I'll give those spots a shot. Thanks!
Looking at google earth park at end of Altona eplsanade you can wade out past all those weed banks at the end of maidstone st, right out to the outer exposed/ankle deep sand banks. Cast towards the yellow bouy.

This weekends tides are pretty low so you should have a good window. A kayak will bottom out on the outer sand bar at about 0.4m tide height. Cross over from wetlands beach if you want to avoid walking through the weed.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”