docklands last week

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
barwonboy

Re: docklands last week

Post by barwonboy » Mon May 08, 2017 10:31 am

im heading down to docklands this weekend, im wondering what bait works well in the area
thanks, lucas

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon May 08, 2017 10:33 am

Live pinkies from the sounds of it
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Mon May 08, 2017 12:58 pm

Depends what you're after.

Mussels will get you bream. So will yabbies. Pilchard/chicken/prawn will also work for pinkies and trevs

Or be adventurous and try the live pinky on a float

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Mon May 08, 2017 4:46 pm

thanks for the tips guys, ill be sure to use the this weekend

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Sat May 13, 2017 4:58 pm

Went to docklands today and didn't catch anything:( I was fishing for 7 hours but didn't even get a bite, I used chicken,fresh prawn, and fresh muscles as bait. I had a burley slick going but still no luck, at one point I threw my bait in the water and the fish were looking and the bait but they weren't touching it. Atleast I ended up catching some wild oysters off the side of the jetty. If anyone can give me some tips about where to go in docklands nextime and what baits I should try nextime

Tight Lines !!

LINwAd

Post by LINwAd » Sat May 13, 2017 8:37 pm

barwonboy wrote:Went to docklands today and didn't catch anything:( I was fishing for 7 hours but didn't even get a bite, I used chicken,fresh prawn, and fresh muscles as bait. I had a burley slick going but still no luck, at one point I threw my bait in the water and the fish were looking and the bait but they weren't touching it. Atleast I ended up catching some wild oysters off the side of the jetty. If anyone can give me some tips about where to go in docklands nextime and what baits I should try nextime

Tight Lines !!

Which part of Docklands did you go to and what rigs were you using? I see people pick up pinkies in 2 different spots pretty much every time I ride past.

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Sat May 13, 2017 10:30 pm

I was fishing on a little pier next to wattle road, I was just using a simple running sinker onto a swivel then about 50cm of leader with a small circle Hook

Thanks for the response

LINwAd

Post by LINwAd » Sun May 14, 2017 9:58 am

barwonboy wrote:I was fishing on a little pier next to wattle road, I was just using a simple running sinker onto a swivel then about 50cm of leader with a small circle Hook

Thanks for the response
I normally stick to the other side of docklands and use a patty rig with 2 hooks spaced out about 60cm. One right down low and one up mid water.

I went down there today for about an hour with some bait rods but got bored as was not having any bites so i packed up. I really do prefer lures haha.

Just as I left I saw a stripe of colour in my final burley and it was a massive stingray.. probrably about 1+ m accross.

The local asian community fish down in the area with great success using floats and looooong rods. I see them catch everything on that.

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Sun May 14, 2017 1:47 pm

LINwAd wrote:
barwonboy wrote:I was fishing on a little pier next to wattle road, I was just using a simple running sinker onto a swivel then about 50cm of leader with a small circle Hook

Thanks for the response
I normally stick to the other side of docklands and use a patty rig with 2 hooks spaced out about 60cm. One right down low and one up mid water.

I went down there today for about an hour with some bait rods but got bored as was not having any bites so i packed up. I really do prefer lures haha.

Just as I left I saw a stripe of colour in my final burley and it was a massive stingray.. probrably about 1+ m accross.

The local asian community fish down in the area with great success using floats and looooong rods. I see them catch everything on that.

Alright mate thanks for the tips I'll be sure to use them next time. By the way what baits do you use

LINwAd

Post by LINwAd » Sun May 14, 2017 8:53 pm

I use a range of baits. Pulchard, prawns squid and chicken. Having a variety of baits in the water will always increase your chances

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”