docklands last week

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Re: docklands last week

Post by eddyt » Mon May 15, 2017 11:28 am

Also most fish at the docks are near structure. i.e. straight down, don't cast it out. Especially the bream. Not all, but i get a lot more casting parallel to the pier

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Mon May 15, 2017 11:52 am

eddyt wrote:Also most fish at the docks are near structure. i.e. straight down, don't cast it out. Especially the bream. Not all, but i get a lot more casting parallel to the pier
yeah i was free lining prawn next to the structure and the fish looked at the bait but they didnt eat, i guess they just werent hungry

Yi1978

Post by Yi1978 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:12 pm

went to docklands with my son last friday and landed 5 fish( 3 bream, 1 pinkie, 1 trevally). another 4 fish snagged us......as eddyt suggests, most of these fish are near the structure and when they are over certain size they fight hard. I had to set my drag tight or I believe i would lose majority of my catch and rigs.
I normally fish near north wharf and using paternoster rig but with only one loop ( the knot is about 50cms above my sinker and the loop itself is about 20cm, btw use a small sinker and my one is size 0)
in terms of baits, i use pillchard and cut them into small fillets and a size 2 or 4 baitholder
met a fishman using live bass yabbies unweighted and he casted them near the the structure where he aleady saw some breams and got one landed within 20 seconds.... :thumbsup:
hope some info here will help you.....it's been a little bit quiet and cold lately
coped with a $75 parking fine is not fun either :water:

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Mon May 15, 2017 5:03 pm

Yi1978 wrote:went to docklands with my son last friday and landed 5 fish( 3 bream, 1 pinkie, 1 trevally). another 4 fish snagged us......as eddyt suggests, most of these fish are near the structure and when they are over certain size they fight hard. I had to set my drag tight or I believe i would lose majority of my catch and rigs.
I normally fish near north wharf and using paternoster rig but with only one loop ( the knot is about 50cms above my sinker and the loop itself is about 20cm, btw use a small sinker and my one is size 0)
in terms of baits, i use pillchard and cut them into small fillets and a size 2 or 4 baitholder
met a fishman using live bass yabbies unweighted and he casted them near the the structure where he aleady saw some breams and got one landed within 20 seconds.... :thumbsup:
hope some info here will help you.....it's been a little bit quiet and cold lately
coped with a $75 parking fine is not fun either :water:
Thanks so much for the tips mate, this sure will help me next time :thumbsup: :water:

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Wed May 31, 2017 2:43 pm

went down to docklands for another try a couple days ago,7 hour trip, i could see plenty of fish, infact at some times i could see schools of up to 70 bream. but for some reason they just werent intrested, just like last time they just looked at the bait and didnt eat. i used a variaty of baits at a variety of spots. for bait i used fresh muscles,prawn,chicken,bread,pilchard and even some soft plastic gulp sandworms. after all i did catch my first ever bream which was a very good experience. any tips for next time :water: :fish22:

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Wed May 31, 2017 5:40 pm

It fishes best after some rain when the water is murky. When the water is clear you need light line and small sinkers. Otherwise fish early morning or night time in low light. Bream should be feeding deeper now that water temps cooled down.

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Wed May 31, 2017 7:20 pm

eddyt wrote:It fishes best after some rain when the water is murky. When the water is clear you need light line and small sinkers. Otherwise fish early morning or night time in low light. Bream should be feeding deeper now that water temps cooled down.
Thanks for the tips mate I'm going out again this Saturday so I'll give a report on how I go

Yi1978

Post by Yi1978 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:33 pm

barwonboy wrote:went down to docklands for another try a couple days ago,7 hour trip, i could see plenty of fish, infact at some times i could see schools of up to 70 bream. but for some reason they just werent intrested, just like last time they just looked at the bait and didnt eat. i used a variaty of baits at a variety of spots. for bait i used fresh muscles,prawn,chicken,bread,pilchard and even some soft plastic gulp sandworms. after all i did catch my first ever bream which was a very good experience. any tips for next time :water: :fish22:

well done, so your persistance paid off :a_goodjob:

it really comes down to the species you are chasing as different fish prefer different things :fish22:

if you want to target bream i am not an expert or anything, i would use very small sinker and very fine lines (light FC leader to braided line) as they are a bit smarter and timid( don;t know much about lures or sps)

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Wed May 31, 2017 11:18 pm

:a_goodjob: Well done with nice photos of a mixed bag :a_goodjob:

Joe

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:56 am

Went down to docklands yesterday for the third week in a row, today finally persistence really did pay off!! I stayed on a small peir near wattle road and caught three snapper and one bit through my line. For 1 of the snapper I caught it by dropping a big chunk of muscle on my hook without any wait. And the other two snapper I caught on 2 inch Wrigley . After that the other 5 hours were super quiet although I spotted some small bream they weren't interested as always. Anyway I'm super happy with the result and I recommend to fish docklands early in the morning 6 to 9 o'clock is when theres most action!! :fish22: :super:

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”